Notices
Formula

Generators for 382

Old 03-21-2006, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Generators for 382

Looking for some generator feedback.

Formula uses Kohler gensets currently. Westerbeke makes one that is about an inch or two smaller on each dimension. But, the westerbeke is 300 lbs vs. 200 lbs for the Kohler. Neither weight includes the added weight of the water and exhaust inlets and outlets or the battery, wiring etc. The Westerbeke spins at 1800 rpm vs 3600 for the Kohler so it might be a little more quiet.

I'm inclined to go with the Kohler just because that is what Formula uses and 100 lbs lighter sounds like the way to go.

Any thoughts or opinions?

I'm thinking I can do the install myself with the exception of cutting the holes in the boat. Anyone done it before?

Thanks,
Garrett
Old 03-22-2006, 02:22 PM
Registered

Default Re: Generators for 382

Originally Posted by Troutly
I have a factory gen-set on my boat and I have to say I am surprised at how loud it is when running. I would love it to only have to run at 1800 RPM v. the 3600 RPM it runs at. That would make a BIG difference in how loud it is.

I'd not worry about the extra 100 lbs...that is like approx. 17 gallons of gas located in roughly that same area. A 382 is a heavy boat that does not have a very efficient hull in a non-race set-up. I doubt you will see any speed difference with the extra 100 lbs.
That's a good point. Another 100 lbs in an 11,000 lb boat isn't a huge difference.

The generators I referenced in the orginal post are both 5kw gensets. Westerbeke also has a 3kw generator that runs at 2200 rpm and has an even smaller envelope and is 165 lbs. So a little lighter than the Kohler 5kw unit.

I'm thinking 3kw might be enough. The AC pulls 900W (plus some surge for starting most likely. The battery charger pulls 1560W if it was delivering max current which would probably never happen. I think I could have a microwave in there (only occasionally). As long as I didn't have the AC, battery charger and microwave on at the same time, it would probably be fine.

What do you think?

Garrett
Old 03-22-2006, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5kw is far better than 3kw any day but workable. Check you needs there. Also, the slower running gen is much better for noise and fuel usage wear and tear. My choise would be the Westie. Good units. I have a Kholer and it's been great to me after 2000 hours and still running strong. Only draw back is it's a little loud but liveable.
Hope this helps some.
Is the boat pre wired for a gen? If so the install is easy and making holesa in a boat is not any deal either.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:29 PM
Registered

Talking Re: Generators for 382

My 2001 382 has an after market kohler model 5E.I dont find it to be that loud compared to my other boats.Always go bigger,5kw.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:10 PM
Registered

Cutting holes for the thru hull fittings is probably the easiest of all. I would think the gen box and trim would be the most hassel
Old 03-22-2006, 08:34 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You might want to look at a MASE diesel gen set model IS4.0. Active Thunder and Nortech both use them. Joe Murray
Old 03-22-2006, 11:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by f311fr1
You might want to look at a MASE diesel gen set model IS4.0. Active Thunder and Nortech both use them. Joe Murray

That's great............but they don't run on gas very well, so you'd have to add a diesel tank too and the stink too.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:47 AM
Registered

Sounds like I should probably go for the Westerbeke 5kw. If the boat goes too much slower, it'll give me a reason to do some HP upgrades.

The boat doesn't have the wiring. I can do the electrical connections, but routing the wires will probably be a bear. Maybe I can get one of you guys to give me some pointers on drilling the holes. I've been looking at the hole drilling as one of those things that I won't be able to fix myself if I fudge it up.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:49 AM
Registered

I'm definitely doing gas. The stock fuel tank already has 3 fittings to pull fuel from so hook up will be a no brainer. I don't know where I'd put another fuel tank for diesel. Just another complication.

Now after I upgrade to a pair of 1400 HP Diesel engines water jet drives, then, I'll probably switch to a diesel genset.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Garrett,

I have a 6500 W Kohler for my 382, dealer installed. It was a $10,000 option. It is big and very heavy. I have not re-installed it in the boat since I have owned it. Really a bear to get into the engine compartment and work on motors with it in.

I will be putting a lifting point in the ceiling of my storage building to pull the generator more easily.

There are several variations of mounting the generator. I think Nort's in in the center under the rear seat (there is an old thread here somewhere in the Formula section). Lynn Keller's '98 is also in the center, but behind the rear seat with exhaust out the transom. Mine is mounted on the port side with exhaust out the port side. I can grab pics of my exhaust location and Lynn's generator when the season opens here.

Quick Reply: Generators for 382

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.