Notices
Formula

206 Ls

Old 09-06-2006, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 206 Ls

Hey guys I am looking a buying a 1988 206 LS.It has been in storage indoors since 1990,it has 91 hours on it.Last week the owner took it out of storage and had local marina comminsion it for use.After a few hours of run time it now had developed a rod knock.I am looking at buying it to fix and use on my local lake.What is it worth?How well was this boat constructed?Here is what I know so far.

5.7 320 HP Multi Port Fuel Injection
Bravo One Drive
Stainless Prop
Mint trailer
Trim tabs
silent choice
swim platform

Other then that the boat is in perfect condition. Let me know what your thoughts are

Thanks Nordic95
Old 09-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 206 Ls

As far as I know, the old 350 magnums only had 270 HP. Also, the most HP a 5.7L Mecruiser has now is 300 HP (unless it is a "Scorpion" model, which is also a later production setup). I wonder if it's been repowered once already? Shoot, the ol' 454 put out 330 HP...
Old 09-06-2006, 12:07 PM
Where To
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I owned a 1986 350 mag (carbed) for 3 years. Great boat for a runabout. We slept on ours a few times and it wasn't too bad. As long as everything works, except the rod knock, and the finish represents the VERY low hours, I'd say it was worth around $5500 to $7000 with the trailer. That motor should be 270hp. The 454's were 330hp.

Dave
Old 09-06-2006, 12:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a good deal, except for the engine.
That will be a costly repair. Probably close to half the purchase price or more.
I'd look into what an engine will cost, or cost to rebuild, including removal and installation, and decide for your self.

According to the NADA Guide the boat alone is worth 8000 to 9000. If you search for boat prices, For Formula you need to look under Thunderbird.
I didn't price the trailer since I had no info on it.

Having the Bravo drive is a real plus. Especially if you plan any performance upgrades to the engine.

You mentioned that it has "Silent Choice" exhaust. Did you mean to say "Silent Thunder". Silent Choice gives you the option of having the exhaust routed through the transom or the prop. Formula's "Silent Thunder" routes all the exhaust through special water box mufflers in the swim platform. You'll see two square exhaust outlets on the rear of the platform.

Formula builds an incredible boat. The best materials and fabrics are used. And they all have timeless lines.
I too have an '88 206 LS. Only difference is I have a 350 MAG engine with an Alpha drive. Every where we go it draws attention. People are surprised how old it is. They think it's fairly new.

If you have further questions....just ask.

Last edited by Iggy; 09-06-2006 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:25 PM
Registered

I've got an 87 206 and I love this boat. Iggy has helped me out on a few small items because mine sat for a few years as well. Like he said it turns heads everywhere I go. No one believes it's an 87. I won the "smallest boat" award in our poker run but I hung in there with all of them. I dropped a new engine in mine last year and haven't had a problem yet. I've been testing props and speed wise I'm topping out at 60 on the GPS but I'm still short about 300 rpms. Hope it works out for you. IGGY, how've you been lately?
Attached Thumbnails 206 Ls-formula.jpg  
Old 09-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hi there.....
I'm OK, but the boat hasn't moved in two months. Not that there's anything wrong, just tied up at work and the weather hasn't cooperated on the weekends. Starting Monday the 11th I'm on vacation for two maybe three weeks. I hope to be on the water then.

How 'bout you and yours??
Having fun?
Old 09-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Registered

Sorry to hear about the weather and busy schedule. Yes I've been on mine every chance I can. So far I've only missed one weekend. Everything is running solid and knock on wood, no issues. Our poker run, which was my first, was a blast. Bolster seats would be the next "upgrade" when I decide to step up. I've searched other boats but I can't and won't stray from the Formula tradition. It is just a very prestigous line and I'm proud to be part of it. My next move will be to a 272 so keep me in mind if you know anyone selling on. I hope you enjoy your vacation time and may the weather be in your favor! Take care and be safe.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

It's funny, I thought about adding bolster seats too.
I enjoy being up high enough to see over the windshield, but hate having to stand to do it. But then there's times I'm glad to be able to duck down out of the wind. Like on a cool spring day or caught in the rain.
Hmmmm.......maybe I could just increase the height of the seat posts.
Just a thought. I'll work on it.

Got the itch to move up already, eh?
I've seen a lot of 272's advertised on OSO and a couple other places.
If I spot one that's sounds decent I'll be sure to pass it on.

Be safe.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:26 PM
Banned

You have Merc's first venture into the fuel injected engines. They did NOT work out well. I had one that was a basket case when I bought my Donzi Minx. Lot's of very good parts in the engine. Pull the engine, have the crank turned, check the rods, pistons etc, then put a high rise manifold and a q jet, or a holley on it, and you will have a helluva good engine. It's got four bolt mains, forged crank, forged pistons, heavy duty rods, and a decent cam. Good heads, with screw in studs. The FI didn't work well. I heard there was a problem with the fuel injectors squirting the fuel right on the sides of the cylinders, and wiping out the rings. While you have it apart, you might want to go with a little more radical cam, but not much. It's a damn good base to rebuild from, if it isn't wiped out. If all the parts are still usuable, it would be worth having a machine shop fix it back up.

DO NOT try to get the fuel injection working. There is a guy here on Oso that spend two years and tons of money trying to get two running in a Sonic. I sent him all the stuff I had from mine, but the last I heard, he gave up and bought two other engines.

Btw, watching a 206 run through a stiff chop that was making my teeth rattle in my fishboat is the very reason I got into this silly sport.

Here's what mine looked like when I bought it. I got it running again with a carb set up, but I made the mistake of buying some "freshly rebuilt heads" and not checking them.
Attached Thumbnails 206 Ls-jgriffbasketcase.jpg   206 Ls-failure-small-.jpg  
Old 09-06-2006, 05:12 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Cuda is right about the 320 EFI,few parts available and no one with the knowledge to service it. The 206 is a neat boat,tho,buy it and repower it with a new complete Merc engine,lots of deals available

Quick Reply: 206 Ls

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.