Notices
Formula

The Bird has a new perch

Old 10-29-2006, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: The Bird has a new perch

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Nice trailer there Mayor, heard you were getting a new one. Looks like mine, except now I'm thinking someone stole one of my axles. Are the 16.5s original? What is the rating per axle?
They're original. I think they are rated at 6k each, not positive though. What's nice with those heavy-duty axles and tires is when I'm doing tight maneuvers, the tires don't roll under. Ever since I first saw one of these big Eagles, I wanted one. You can never have too much trailer.

Had radials under my other trailer, never again. Give me big, brawny bias plies any day.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

They are 6K axles I'm sure. I've never seen an 8-bolt hub on anything less. Eagle used "Axis" axles. 16.5's were used widely up in the industry until the proliferation of 16" tires and the reduced availability of 16.5's
Old 10-29-2006, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another nice thing about that eagle is it made the trip towing 10k lbs from Canada to Fl a dream. It tows very well...straight and no flexing going down the road.

I really hated to sell the eagle but I knew that if I were to ever put it in salt water that would be the beginning of the end. Now I am having Manning Marine build an aluminum one for me.

The 336 is great. Now, the 525s are at Innovation Marine being rebuilt after I discovered a small gremlin. When I got the boat back to Fl, I changed the oil and filters to Valvoline Racing 40w and Fram HP4s, and was warming the motors up on the water hose. Port OK, starboard starting knocking after a few minutes. It sounded lower end, so I decided to pull both motors and have them gone through since the boat had 350 hrs and the motors had never been touched internally.

Innovation called a few weeks ago and told me what the knocking was. The flame arrestors have welded vent tubes on them and at some point in the boats life one of them broke and was riveted back on. Well, that rivet broke off, fell through the carb and blower, and landed on the top of #2 piston. The knock was the rivet on top of the piston hitting the head. No damage was done since the motor ran maybe 5 secs after the knock was heard.

As of today, I am still very pleased with my decision to buy the boat. Formula builds one like no other. I'm just waiting for my first day on the water with her.

And thanks for the welcome, you guys are cool...
Old 10-29-2006, 06:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tweakinit
Another nice thing about that eagle is it made the trip towing 10k lbs from Canada to Fl a dream. It tows very well...straight and no flexing going down the road.

I really hated to sell the eagle but I knew that if I were to ever put it in salt water that would be the beginning of the end. Now I am having Manning Marine build an aluminum one for me.

The 336 is great. Now, the 525s are at Innovation Marine being rebuilt after I discovered a small gremlin. When I got the boat back to Fl, I changed the oil and filters to Valvoline Racing 40w and Fram HP4s, and was warming the motors up on the water hose. Port OK, starboard starting knocking after a few minutes. It sounded lower end, so I decided to pull both motors and have them gone through since the boat had 350 hrs and the motors had never been touched internally.

Innovation called a few weeks ago and told me what the knocking was. The flame arrestors have welded vent tubes on them and at some point in the boats life one of them broke and was riveted back on. Well, that rivet broke off, fell through the carb and blower, and landed on the top of #2 piston. The knock was the rivet on top of the piston hitting the head. No damage was done since the motor ran maybe 5 secs after the knock was heard.

As of today, I am still very pleased with my decision to buy the boat. Formula builds one like no other. I'm just waiting for my first day on the water with her.

And thanks for the welcome, you guys are cool...
Just too bad to go through an entire rebuild (times 2) for a fluke in one motor. Hey, at least you'll have fresh 525s.
What kind of speeds can you expect from a 336 with 525s? You said you ran in Canada, right?
Old 10-29-2006, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

[QUOTE=tweakinit]
And thanks for the welcome, you guys are cool.

Yor are for sure welcome. If you hang around here long enough you will find some of us are cool, some are hot, and some, like Bird/The Mayor simply have a glowing personality (it's a work related thing, sometimes he even glows in the dark ).

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 10-29-2006 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the PB issue with the test of the first 336 built w/525's.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:51 PM
Registered

We ran the 336 on Lake Simcoe up there...we cruised around for about 10 minutes, then we opened her up alittle, steady and solid. Full throttle, trimmed out, and tabbed up, last time I looked at the 75 mph speedo, the needle had gone around the gage and was coming back up the other side. We ran out of lake before I could get a lock on the GPS, and I was too excited to worry about it on the way back to the dock. I figure we hit around 78-80 mph. With this rebuild, I am changing the cam and valve train, and expect to gain 50hp p/motor and some RPMs. I changed to dwp bravo Xs, so when I put her in the salt and do some prop testing, I'd like to see a solid 83mph GPS. (You wouldn't believe it, but I was not allowed to drive. I still haven't driven her, yet.)

BTW, Dave. Your 311 looks great. I looked at one for a while, and finally went for a ride. Thats when I fell for Formula. Congrats on the sweet set-up.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:01 PM
Registered

BTW, Dave. Your 311 looks great. I looked at one for a while, and finally went for a ride. Thats when I fell for Formula. Congrats on the sweet set-up.
Thanks Jon

So, the guy you bought the boat from wouldn't let you drive it!!??!!??!!??

What's with that chit? If I'm gonna buy a boat, I'm gonna drive the damn thing. Guy sounds like a tool.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:52 PM
Registered

Sorry Dave, I gave the wrong impression. The guys at Double R were great, and I mean that. Their insurance, and past experience led them to that rule. Last summer, Double R took out a customer, and let him drive. Turned out the customer was not as experienced as he said he was, and flew the boat off a cruisers wake, never let off....ended up throwing them around in the boat and the owner of Double R shattered his arm, twisted wrist, stuff like that......so I kinda understood, but I was still upset about it. I would usually NEVER agree to that, but the boat was worth it to me. I probably should have required that I drive at least some, but at this point, the boat is quite mysterious to me, and that will make things very interesting and exciting our first time out. (listen to me, I sound like I'm going out on my first date )

Rippem, did that article give any interesting info??

Dave, is that your original cockpit cover, or did you have that made? Looks good.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:01 AM
Registered

Dave, is that your original cockpit cover, or did you have that made? Looks good.
Previous owner had it made just before I bought the boat. It's six years old now and looks as good as new. Whoever made it did a nice job.

Quick Reply: The Bird has a new perch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.