Notices
Formula

The new Bird Hauler

Old 01-11-2007, 06:51 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Re: The new Bird Hauler

Originally Posted by ThirdBird
Thanks Pal. Just trying to emulate the Senator.

Nice choice Bird. Don't let the oil burners get to you, it's hard to justify the added cost of the diesel package unless you are actually using it for hauling on a regular basis. True the milage is a little better, but fuel costs more, then factor in the added purchase cost and the gasser wins. I bought my new truck for what I do with it every day, year round, not for the 124 miles I move the boat each season. And when you fill up you don't have to stand in that pool of spilled, smelly diesel, that just won't evaporate and go away.

I do believe you have out done the Senator in the tow rig catagory.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 01-11-2007 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a 2500 Yukon XL with 4x4, 4.10 and the 496 (2003 black). Ours is loaded and it has been a great day to day and tow truck. My wife drives it daily and loves to be up high.

I added a Class V hitch and have towed up to 12,000 pounds with no issues. The standard hitch is junk... IMO it is well worth a few hundred dollors to get a real hitch put in place.

No pics, but the black truck should look nice towing the new boat with black flagship graphics.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer 880
I added a Class V hitch and have towed up to 12,000 pounds with no issues. The standard hitch is junk... IMO it is well worth a few hundred dollors to get a real hitch put in place.

that is gospel! Lots of horror stories with that stock hitch. I wouldn't trust it over 7-8K. Big badazz hitch is the first thing I do.

Putnam XDR
Reese Titan

both about $200
Old 01-11-2007, 09:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
uh oh.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Where To
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: The new Bird Hauler

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
I wasn't informed of ANY competition nor do I wish to participate in one!

Dave
Old 01-11-2007, 09:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by axapowell
I wasn't informed of ANY truck competition nor do I wish to participate in one!

Dave
good thinking. Getting those little old lady clients in and out of a HD truck could be ugly in more than one sense.

plenty of walker stowage though!
Old 01-11-2007, 11:02 AM
Registered

Alright Rip, between you and Brian (Sydwayz), I'm seriously looking at a new hitch. Got any pics installed, and how is the installation?
I have to go through all the crap I'm getting from SEMA, but I remember talking with one outfit that had aluminum, adjustable, double locking ball mounts, plus stainless balls, rated at 14k lbs. I just need to get off my arse and make the call.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Although I did notice that the hitch doesn't appear to be the stoutest one I've seen, it must be rated to carry and tow what the truck is rated for (12000 lbs). Otherwise, there would be disclaimers all over the place for GM's protection against lawsuits.

Now Rip, I agree that a heftier hitch would be a nice insurance policy but, a necessity????

Plus, the factory hitch is somewhat integrated to the bumper. Would an aftermarket hitch look the same and connect the same?
Old 01-11-2007, 11:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ThirdBird
Thanks Pal. Just trying to emulate the Senator.
3rd, ya really need to aim higher on the hero worship thing. It appears between you and Axa, you have one good looking rig. His '84 Sanford and Son Dually is a better fit for your '69 311. His '99 behind your new ride would be respectable. Seems an even trade both ways to me.... can someone photoshop this up. Being yur in 'swego county 3rd you get the '84, although your new ride would be prone to getting jacked in Axa's neighborhood. Sure it'd show up a month later with 24s and spinners, but..............
Old 01-11-2007, 12:03 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

The factory hitch is only rated to tow that kind of weight with FULL WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION setup.

The only way to get the right hitch is to have the Class-V Putnam or Reese hitch. This will increase your Weight Carrying hitch capacity to 12,000 lbs. (Although I think a 3.73 rear end only means you are rated to tow 10,800 lbs. The 4.10 takes it to 12,000 lbs.)

Quick Reply: The new Bird Hauler

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.