Fuel lines 382

Notices
Formula

Fuel lines 382

Old 01-30-2007, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel lines 382

I installed a FloScan system and "spliced" the meter into the factory rubber fuel line between the tank and the fuel pump. I want to replace the rubber fuel line with a rigid line where I could make the appropriate bends. Reasoning behind this is so that the two Floscan meters would have a stable mount and I would make it so that it's easy to pull off the meter and meter prefilter. (I would want to use a type of union fitting) Has anyone done this and is it as good or better than the factory rubber hoses?
Old 01-30-2007, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Fuel lines 382

stick with rubber. You're asking for trouble with hard lines. You didn't mount the sensors on their brackets?
replace the rubber line with enough length to run it along the back edge of the "floor" in front of the motors, secure with appropriate dia. cushion clamps into a couple of the existing screw holes for the trim on the back edge. Leave enough length on all hose to cut them if you need to for an annual replacement of the prefilters. You only loose about 1/2" of length if you have to split them and retrim for removal...so 1.5" of extra length on each hose gets you 3 annual changes IF you have to split them, before you need to replace a hose.
Been there done that.

I usually use a torch to heat up the hoses for easier removal
Old 01-30-2007, 03:47 PM
Registered

Rip,
I have the brackets installed but I don't like how they look so I want to redo them this winter. I wanted something where I could take out the prefilter or meter without cutting into the hose. (PITA) Even if I stick with the rubber fuel line (Which is OK with me) I would still like to utilize a union at the fuel line from the tank and another before it hits the pump for easy removal. If you have yours installed could you shoot me a pic of your hose routing? Thanks.
Kevin
Originally Posted by Rippem
stick with rubber. You're asking for trouble with hard lines. You didn't mount the sensors on their brackets?
replace the rubber line with enough length to run it along the back edge of the "floor" in front of the motors, secure with appropriate dia. cushion clamps into a couple of the existing screw holes for the trim on the back edge. Leave enough length on all hose to cut them if you need to for an annual replacement of the prefilters. You only loose about 1/2" of length if you have to split them and retrim for removal...so 1.5" of extra length on each hose gets you 3 annual changes IF you have to split them, before you need to replace a hose.
Been there done that.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Registered

Acetylene or propane?
Old 01-30-2007, 04:18 PM
Registered

If you want something you can remove without cutting use aeroquip fittings or something similar, maybe even braided lines and it will make it look a little more trick, the other problem with hard lines to the motor is when you run, the motors move more than you realize and the boat has a certain amount of flex to it which would be a problem with hard lines.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RonS
the other problem with hard lines to the motor is when you run, the motors move more than you realize which would be a problem with hard lines.
exactly my point.

route them any custom way you want, just use some rubber (push-lok) to AN adapters and custom plumb for easy R&R. Keep in mind you can get into leaky fitting bs also...It's hard to beat rubber on barbs and double worm clamps!

Just secure those sensors. They should be hard mounted for sure.

Now my engine rooms are clean for sure, but when it came to my fuel sensing installs...it's all about function and safety, very much less about form.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:59 PM
Registered

One more question...were you concerned about where the placement of the sensors were? (Higher than the fuel pump vs lower than the pump) I know the instructions indicated to install lower, but it really limits the mounting locations. I do like your idea of runing in front of the engines along the ledge.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dukenrock
One more question...were you concerned about where the placement of the sensors were? (Higher than the fuel pump vs lower than the pump) I know the instructions indicated to install lower, but it really limits the mounting locations. I do like your idea of runing in front of the engines along the ledge.
no. but I spec'd the "pulse traps" to install inline up high just before the motor even though they said they weren't necessary. helps with accuracy.

using the screw holes for the silver trim, and orienting the adel clamps "down" the lines are just below grade so you're not stepping on them.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rippem
You should be careful with remarks like that, some idiot might actually use a torch.

er,,,,,,,,,,ah,,,,,,,,,, you actually did use a torch???

Old 01-31-2007, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ThirdBird
er,,,,,,,,,,ah,,,,,,,,,, you actually did use a torch???

I've heard that he uses a Bic lighter to search for those hard to find fuel leaks.

Quick Reply: Fuel lines 382

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.