Personal Opinions 271 or 292

Notices
Formula

Personal Opinions 271 or 292

Old 05-17-2007, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Personal Opinions 271 or 292

I've been in the market for a fastech for awhile now. I'm torn between the 271 and 292. It's come down to brand new 271 or a used 292. The 292 has a lot of creature comfort features that the 271 doesn't have that I like. Like the anchor locker, bimini storage and the ladder storage and the twin power. I found a great deal on a brand new 271 leftover, never seen water, full 5 year warrenty. I haven't seen her up close yet but I would like to hear your opinons on which route to go.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course this is all just opinion...Some factors I would consider in making this choice:

How old is the 292? If it is late model, you may have some transferrable warranty left, which is nice.

Are twin engines important? For lots of reasons I prefer twins, but you will visit the gas dock more often (though you'll get their faster!)

Will you see any rough water? 2 feet of LOA can make a big difference when the water stands up. For me here in the SF Bay Area, rough water motivated me to go with 29' as a minimum as well as making twins a prerequisite - When I'm outside the Golden Gate I want to know if I lose an engine I am not relying on drift or the radio to get me home.

Is instant depreciation an issue for you? Any new boat will take a big hit on resale value the moment you splash it.

If the 292 is low hours, well cared for, and priced right, personally I would choose (and I did) the 292.

From what you said about creature comforts that you desire being absent from the 271, sounds like you might have buyer's remorse not long after buying the 271, which would make enjoying the boat difficult. Since you'll be seriously upside down for a long time on a new boat (equity vs. loan), you'll either be stuck or have to take a big hit to move up to a larger twin.

If you're not in love with the 271, don't buy it. Alot of money for something which you've said is coming up short on your wish list.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:13 PM
Registered

Thanks! I appreciate the insight. I'm not sold on either model, thats why I'm asking for some owners opinions. Both boats are in the same price range that I'm looking for and the full warrenty on the new 271 is a big seller. I've been looking at a few 00,02,03 292 models. Regarding the creature comforts their rather irrelevant, thats why I'm split between them. Their not that big of a deal to me. I'm complaining about an anchor locker and ladder stowage. The thing I care most about is that it's a FORMULA!
Old 05-17-2007, 04:35 PM
Registered

I completely agree with your #1 priority: It's gotta be a Formula!

Last weekend I added an amp and some additional speakers to my 292, which meant I was poking around in the strorage areas, cabinets, in the bilge, behind the breaker panels, etc.

I was completely and utterly impressed with the rigging job - Every wire splice and terminal connection has heat shrink tubing, all wire bundles were tubed and zip tied every few inches. The schematics supplied in my owners manual were exact in every aspect, and I didn't come acroos one piece of fab\assembly which made me go 'hmmm....'

In fact, the rigging was so perfect it took me twice as long as it would of to add the same equipment to a car, because I had to make all my connections and routing just as clean as the factory pieces, even if no one ever sees those wires or mounts.

The attention to detail and quality control at Formula is outstanding, so no matter which FasTech you buy you've certainly chosen a first-class brand.

Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread with my rave on Formula; I'm not knocking other builders but I am so glad I chose my 292 over some of the other brands I was considering.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:40 PM
Registered

The 271 i'm looking at says it has captains call exhaust. But according the 2005 Fastech brochure 271 is suppose to have silent thunder. I don't even see captains call as an option. Am I wright or wrong? I though Corsa exhaust was the only one that had the captain's call option.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:52 PM
Registered

Forgive me if you already know some\all of this:

Silent Thunder is a fiberglass extension box under the swim patform which the thru-transom exhaust routes to; the S/T box has an internal baffle system which uses the baffles and water to quiet the exhaust rather than using conventional mufflers.

Captains Call is a switchable exhaust which routes the exhuast either thru-hull to the Silent Thunder box or out thru the prop.

If it has the Silent Thunder but no captiains call, it will always be thru-transom > S/T exhaust. Better performance and sounds great but no ability to go 'stealth' around the docks, at night, etc.

I love my captains call, particuarlly since I removed my Silent Thunder box for cleaner, more aggressive sound and weight savings, but need the ability to go quiet in the aforementioned situations or when the coast guard is around
Old 05-17-2007, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rhsj2006
Forgive me if you already know some\all of this:

Silent Thunder is a fiberglass extension box under the swim patform which the thru-transom exhaust routes to; the S/T box has an internal baffle system which uses the baffles and water to quiet the exhaust rather than using conventional mufflers.

Captains Call is a switchable exhaust which routes the exhuast either thru-hull to the Silent Thunder box or out thru the prop.

If it has the Silent Thunder but no captiains call, it will always be thru-transom > S/T exhaust. Better performance and sounds great but no ability to go 'stealth' around the docks, at night, etc.

I love my captains call, particuarlly since I removed my Silent Thunder box for cleaner, more aggressive sound and weight savings, but need the ability to go quiet in the aforementioned situations or when the coast guard is around
'Zactly correct. Good little bit 'O knowledge for the "NewBirds".
Old 05-18-2007, 07:55 AM
Registered

Thanks for the insight! Very well put, of course I knew about the S/T and the whole baffle system. I had a buddy that had a 1990 272 in which we modified the baffle set up. I'm really curious about which exhaust tips does it have, the rectangular tips through the swim platform or the circular tips above the outdrive? Thats what I can't seem to find a picture of.

I'm thinking in the next week or two, I'm going to make the trip up to NY to take a look at the 271 I found, if she's still there. The only problem is that the boat doesn't come with a trailer. Anyone got a trailer their looking to get rid of?
Old 05-18-2007, 03:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Splitdecision271
I'm really curious about which exhaust tips does it have, the rectangular tips through the swim platform or the circular tips above the outdrive? Thats what I can't seem to find a picture of.
Hre is what I believe to be true: Formulas with Silent Thunder made in the last few years will have rectanuglar exaust outlets on the backside of the S/T box, and the thru-hull exhaust (with internal exhaust flappers) will be circular,as will the S/T exhaust inlet.

When I removed my S/T box that was the case. btw, even though it had internal flappers I added rubber external flappers just to be safe...water inversion is a very bad thing.