gas vent problem/382

Notices
Formula

gas vent problem/382

Old 08-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas vent problem/382

has anyone had any problem with the fuel vent on a 382?, my boat is never overfilled, or filled over three quarters, but the vents seem to spill some fuel ,and is discoloring the painted graphics. anybody have some suggestions?
Old 08-10-2007, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joey dee- seems to me there are only three possibilities, one the tank is full or, two the vent isn't at the highest point in the tank as it sits in the boat ,or three there is a loop of some sort in the vent hose. Sorry, I am not familiar with the 382 fuel tank. My 2 cents.
Jim
Old 08-10-2007, 11:03 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Occasionally I have that problem with my 382...I think there is a loop in the vent hose that can hold fuel. When the air tries to escape during a fill-up, the fuel in the vent hose is "blown" out the side of the boat. Thankfully is is rare on my boat, hope you get it figured out.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:35 AM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

I have something similar when I fuel up. When I fuel at a marina with one of the big mammoth nozzles I always have fuel spill out of my vent and it is a pain in the a$$ and pisses me off, but when I go to the fuel station by trailer and use the regular fueling nozzle it never does it and I fuel at full speed.

I have checked the hoses from my tank and found no excess loops that would cause this. When running I never seem to spill out fuel.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There is sapposed to be a loope in the vent line. I think that it is coast guard regulation?

I do recall this problem being discussed in the past and I seem to recall some one having a fix for it... May try and do some searching...
Old 08-12-2007, 09:42 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I fill my 272 and park it in the driveway , when the fuel expands from heat it backs up the vent hose. Why ? Because the vent is in the rear of the tank and that is lower than the front of the tank where the air bubble is. My only fix is fill up on the way out OR unhook from the truck and lower the bow so the air bubble in the tank is in the back and it will vent properly. My last boat had the vent hose run to the front of the tank and NEVER a problem.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:10 PM
Registered

You gas tank should never be full......you should be out running it!!!!!

Never had that problem before......only when topped off.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:57 AM
Registered

Smile Gas vents

05 382 I had the same issue. I cut and shortened the 2 vent hoses. I removed about 12" of hose and reattached to the fittings. They were too long and held liquid. They must be sloping down to the fuel tank to allow gas to drain out of the vent into the tank. Any dip or low spot in the line will hold gas and not allow vapor to pass. It was a pain fueling especially after running in rough water, click stop, spill, click stop, spill. Now it fuels at high speed with no belching.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:40 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 382 newbie
05 382 I had the same issue. I cut and shortened the 2 vent hoses. I removed about 12" of hose and reattached to the fittings. They were too long and held liquid. They must be sloping down to the fuel tank to allow gas to drain out of the vent into the tank. Any dip or low spot in the line will hold gas and not allow vapor to pass. It was a pain fueling especially after running in rough water, click stop, spill, click stop, spill. Now it fuels at high speed with no belching.
I have just discovered this same issue on my 382 and will be shortening the hoses over the winter. I can't believe that they could squeeze an extra 12" in there, though. I assume that you cut the excess off at the fuel tank end? The hullside fittings are not easy to get to....
Old 08-20-2007, 06:51 PM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 382 newbie

Exactly... Why would they make it that way from the factory??

Quick Reply: gas vent problem/382

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.