Notices
Formula

311 sub placement

Old 09-12-2007, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got twins
I am close to completing what you have or recommend

I have purchased and mounted 2 JL 6x9's ( top of the line part number, can't remember) at teh front passenger knee areas
and I am buying two kicker component sets (6" plus tweter) from my buddy mitch ( so basically 4 cockput full ranges)
and I plan to buy 1 10" sub

I also planned to power the cabin speakers with radio head output ( to save power)

so, my question - what power amp or specific amp do you recommend.
I assume parallel the full ranges for one pair of channels, and bridge the other two for the sub

454captiva
sorry for the highjack,
but to contrubute,
what about mounting the sub in the area rear of the gunwhale door openings, that is where i plan to mount the pre made sub/box in my 336

Ramb
Old 09-12-2007, 10:01 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambunctious
got twins
I am close to completing what you have or recommend

I have purchased and mounted 2 JL 6x9's ( top of the line part number, can't remember) at teh front passenger knee areas
and I am buying two kicker component sets (6" plus tweter) from my buddy mitch ( so basically 4 cockput full ranges)
and I plan to buy 1 10" sub

I also planned to power the cabin speakers with radio head output ( to save power)

so, my question - what power amp or specific amp do you recommend.
I assume parallel the full ranges for one pair of channels, and bridge the other two for the sub

454captiva
sorry for the highjack,
but to contrubute,
what about mounting the sub in the area rear of the gunwhale door openings, that is where i plan to mount the pre made sub/box in my 336

Ramb

Hey Ramb,

I will get back to you tonight or tomorrow with regards to the models .... I can't remember them. With regards to the question about the gunwhale .... if I remember correctly you have a "step / compartment" on the port side that the 311s don't . Therefore you are on your own there. Just remember to strengthen the hell out of it so it won't come loose.
The other thing I didn't mention is where I mounted the amp. In the storage / fridge area (311) there is a area with all your switchs I mounted my amp vertically to the wall behind the mirror and mounted my XM boxes to the port side wall of this storage area. The only complaint if I was going to have one is, it gets really warm in there. So if I know I'm going to use the stereo "all" day ... I undo the pin that conects the fridge door to storage door ... close the fridge and open the storage door a crack for air when I am not moving.

Jeff
Old 09-12-2007, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

hey ramb
i don't think my 311 has that area you are describing behind the gunwhale doors. i have thought about putting my subs mounted under the seat but using the gunwhale space for my enclosure. the subs would then fire under the back seat....make sense? my goal was to not make my boat any more stern heavy, i actually have plans to remove my silent thunder platform in lieu of an extreme marine black one.

got twins
i think i will use the same area to mount my amps also, high and dry. i use the area where the fridge used to be for a closet, i put all my life jackets in there. i'm just glad to hear there is so much interest in these old boats still.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:05 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 454captiva
hey ramb
i don't think my 311 has that area you are describing behind the gunwhale doors. i have thought about putting my subs mounted under the seat but using the gunwhale space for my enclosure. the subs would then fire under the back seat....make sense? my goal was to not make my boat any more stern heavy, i actually have plans to remove my silent thunder platform in lieu of an extreme marine black one.

got twins
i think i will use the same area to mount my amps also, high and dry. i use the area where the fridge used to be for a closet, i put all my life jackets in there. i'm just glad to hear there is so much interest in these old boats still.
Tyler,

I love my 311, I tell my friends it's having and old chevelle she's an oldie but goodie.
With regards to the area Ramb wants to use we don't have these compartments he is reffering to.
On the starboard side straight down from the throttles you will see a little door that opens into a compartment ie VHF just to the rear of that so your are about centre of the bolsters legs you could mount another sub the same way i did with other side with no interference of anything what so ever. This way you could put both of your subs in the cockpit. I don't think you are to have enough room under the rear bench anyway or better yet you are going to sacrifice good storage area with easy access . My 6.5s are pushing it in there. I put my lines and cockpit cover and cleaning supplies in there.
Good Luck ....
Old 09-12-2007, 04:56 PM
Registered

Cool,
i am gonna be home tomorrow night so i will take some measurements. i'll see how much room i have with the gunwhale doors all the way open. i'm picking up my components tomorrow afternoon on the way home so hopefully i can update next week with some pics. thanks all
Old 09-17-2007, 12:00 PM
Registered

how do you post pics, i'm confused. i took some good shots of where i think i want to start my sub installation
Old 09-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Registered

nevermind, i think i figured it out....i'm a dumb$hit
Attached Thumbnails 311 sub placement-img_0722.jpg   311 sub placement-img_0717.jpg  
Old 09-24-2007, 12:50 PM
Registered

any thoughts on installing the sub facing up in the airspace pictured above. Has anybody done this already? I am curious as to how it would sound. Of course if would be mounted so the face of the sub wouldv't interfere with the cushion when playing music hard.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:11 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 454captiva
any thoughts on installing the sub facing up in the airspace pictured above. Has anybody done this already? I am curious as to how it would sound. Of course if would be mounted so the face of the sub wouldv't interfere with the cushion when playing music hard.
Hey, just a thought .... could you place that sub under the "backrest" rail. Can you get to it fron the vberth storage area. My thinking is when the cushions are placed down you would have may be 2" covered but they would be set back 3-4" under the rail.....

Jeff
Old 09-24-2007, 04:06 PM
Registered

I looked at that area but decided there just wasn't enough room to put anything there. I think the fresh water tank is on the other side of it. I was also wondering if that back rest rail was structural. I am gonna look closer at that area though. By the way, i found the factory wiring for the factory amp behind the fridge. It was 10 ga, hopefully i can use that wiring to power my small 4 channel amp for mids and highs.

Quick Reply: 311 sub placement

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.