Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
Bomar deck hatches adjust/repair/replace? >

Bomar deck hatches adjust/repair/replace?

Notices
Formula

Bomar deck hatches adjust/repair/replace?

Old 09-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bomar deck hatches adjust/repair/replace?

Seems like one of the pins used as a hinge no longer liked it's place in the world and has left the boat. Can I get a replacement?
On another hatch, the knob/wheel thingy doesn't want to turn; but I haven't tried really putting some torque on it. The hatch still goes up/down with resistance, but i'd like to be able to turn my wheel
Not sure what type of seal is there, but if I'm washing the deck and shoot water horizontally, it leaks through the hatch. Anybody have to fix this?
What's the proper procedure to adjust the lock handles? Some aren't as tight as others.
What about just going crazy and buying all new hatches in white? Are the old SR-1 openings the same as the newer Fastech/white cutouts? Fixing & painting 'em white is a lot cheaper, but figured I'd ask in case I hit the lottery...
Much abliged...
Old 09-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Registered

You can adjust the lock leavers to get a better seal by unscrewing the nut and tightening up the screw in the handle. That should solve the leak. Also sounds like the screw handle is stuck just put a gentle amount of force on it to loosen it up maybe break it loose with some penetrating spray.

Originally Posted by handfulz28
Seems like one of the pins used as a hinge no longer liked it's place in the world and has left the boat. Can I get a replacement?
On another hatch, the knob/wheel thingy doesn't want to turn; but I haven't tried really putting some torque on it. The hatch still goes up/down with resistance, but i'd like to be able to turn my wheel
Not sure what type of seal is there, but if I'm washing the deck and shoot water horizontally, it leaks through the hatch. Anybody have to fix this?
What's the proper procedure to adjust the lock handles? Some aren't as tight as others.
What about just going crazy and buying all new hatches in white? Are the old SR-1 openings the same as the newer Fastech/white cutouts? Fixing & painting 'em white is a lot cheaper, but figured I'd ask in case I hit the lottery...
Much abliged...
Old 09-12-2007, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

you can buy the hatches new from bomar, they are distributed by a company called pompanette. you can check out their website www.pompanette.com. available in either white or black.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:08 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

www.defender.com also handles bomar

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Registered

When I painted my hatches white I needed a couple pins. I took stainless welding rod, I don't remember what size, I think 3/16 and removed the flux. I flattened one end a little to hold them in place. They have been in three years so far, still there and no rust. Like MOERON said, put a little more tension on the latches and they will probably seal.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Handfulz,

You can get roll pins at McMaster Carr pretty cheap. Try the procedure Moeron said, usually about a half turn on the nut and then an opposite turn of the screw head should seal the hatch up.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:08 AM
Registered

Thanks guys!
"Roll pins"...that's what I needed, the correct term. Good excuse to poke around McMaster's site Stainless rod is a good idea too...
Old 09-26-2007, 02:48 PM
Registered

Update: actually "dowel pin" is more accurate Finally looked 'em up at McMaster yesterday; if I get them there I'll have to buy 100 I still have containers of screws/bolts that I bought from there and had to buy 100...to use 4 (still cheaper than buying "dealer only" though ).
I called Bomar and they won't tell me anything; they will hardly talk to you without having the size of the hatch. They sell the pin for $4/each + S&H. My dad didn't have any stainless rod on the truck so maybe I'll stop by a shop. If I could get the dimensions there's also a fastener shop that can get them.
Just wanted to update...
Old 09-28-2007, 07:20 AM
Registered

Pretty much just post whoring now...but yesterday another girl in customer service decided to sell me a pin for $2.50 And they're coming out of Tampa so it'll be here soon enough.
Not a lot of luck loosening the one knob, or tightening the latches. Seems the screw/bolt is as tight as it will go in a couple of the hatches.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

i would like to see some pics of sr-1's with painted or replaced hatches.

Quick Reply: Bomar deck hatches adjust/repair/replace?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.