Formula

Bow rails loose on my 311 ....

Old 02-10-2008, 04:02 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bow rails loose on my 311 ....

Hey guys ,

Does anyone have any ideas or solutions to the bow rails on these 311s to be tightened. In the vberth you can get to a couple of the bolts but as far as I can see you basically have tear down the head liner to do this ..... which sucks for me there isn't a mark in my interior it still looks freak'in new.
If someone could help me that would be great.

Jeff
Old 02-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeff, there's really no other good way to do it. If there was some way positively locate the nuts from inside, you could do a little "slit" to get at them. But, I beleive they are under (or over as it were) the trim pieces AND the headliner.

I've got a few I'd like to tighten also. But, no way am I tearing all that out of there.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ThirdBird
Jeff, there's really no other good way to do it. If there was some way positively locate the nuts from inside, you could do a little "slit" to get at them. But, I beleive they are under (or over as it were) the trim pieces AND the headliner.

I've got a few I'd like to tighten also. But, no way am I tearing all that out of there.
That is what I suspected ..... i thought of the same thing with regards to doing the little slit thing. This really sucks ....
Now I know why Outerlimits and others doesn't use them.
Only about 600 large and me from getting one of those. lol lol

Jeff
Old 02-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Two of my friends have the exact same thing with the 311's they own. If your a small man, you can get the back ones through the side compartments. We're going to have to try something on their boats as well. If you find something that works, please post it. I will do the same.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Cut the rail on each side of the "T" where it goes thru the hull ...Turn the "T" A cpl of turns and weld em back in place ........
Old 02-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offthefront
Cut the rail on each side of the "T" where it goes thru the hull ...Turn the "T" A cpl of turns and weld em back in place ........
Geez Mike, you've been away from your boat too long. How is yours doing?
Old 02-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by offthefront
Like the Guiness commercilas with the two guys....."BRILLIANT"......

Fortunately for me, I didn't have any loosen up on the 292 while I had it. The 311's you guys are dealing with seem to be within about a 3 year timeframe from one another. Anyone else have a similar problem with other size boats in the same timeframe, late 80's early 90's?

Last edited by Treads; 02-12-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by handfulz28
Geez Mike, you've been away from your boat too long. How is yours doing?

things are fine .... still chasing minor gremlins .... one motor has always indicated 190-200* with a thermostat ...Finally figured out today that the sender was wrong .. I couldn't tell you how many told me to check the gauge or sender ....but what do they know? ... we'll get there .....m
Old 03-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Just removed the bow rails and re-installed them on my friends 1987 311 Formula. Some previous owner thought it looked good to paint them white to match the hull. Its not too bad to do actually, and all the little holes you put in the head-liner to access the screws are completely hidden. The only one that REALLY sucks to get at is the one behind the stereo and sink on the port side. You have to remove the refrigerator and crawl in through the hole to access that one.

Nick
Old 03-30-2008, 09:00 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by spazboz
Just removed the bow rails and re-installed them on my friends 1987 311 Formula. Some previous owner thought it looked good to paint them white to match the hull. Its not too bad to do actually, and all the little holes you put in the head-liner to access the screws are completely hidden. The only one that REALLY sucks to get at is the one behind the stereo and sink on the port side. You have to remove the refrigerator and crawl in through the hole to access that one.

Nick
Thanks Spazboz ,

I spoke to Darral @ Formula and he said basically the same thing with one more problem in the head area. But other than that it is really the only way.
He had mentioned something about some kind of plate or board the head liner is mounted to before you get to the actual bolts/screws. Does make any sense to you? I am just wondering what I am getting into before I attack this, this spring.
If you got any pictures please put them online .... that would be great. Send us some pictures of the painted bow rails.... I am curious what they look like.

Thanks again .....

Jeff

Quick Reply: Bow rails loose on my 311 ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.