Notices
Formula

Anchor that Fits - 353 storage bin

Old 03-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anchor that Fits - 353 storage bin

Hello Everyone,
Just purchased a 353, what anchors do you have that will fit in the Storage Bin up front? Mine is in Shrink wrap right now so I have no idea what I can get that will fit. Alot of the Fortress styles look pretty wide with that cross-bar on the bottom. Thanks in advance for input!!!
Old 03-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Registered

I have a fortress, trimmed cross bar and removed a few inches of total length to get it to fit, still works great.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Registered

Great question. My buddy has a PQ that actually accomodates an appropriate size anchor. It even includes clips that keep it from flopping around while under way. Given their size, I'm not even sure why Formula calls their's "anchor lockers".

I've only been in our 292 for 2 summers now. First summer I stowed the anchor in the gunwale (using the cockpit cover bag) and carried it accross the deck everytime we dropped hooks....too much stress and too inconvenient! I agonized over finding an anchor that would fit in the locker and then how to stow it so it would not punch holes in the anchor liner while running in rough conditions. Finally settled on the fortress style anchor (1 piece galvanized) that the dealer provided during purchase. It's really too small for the boat (only rated to 24 feet), but it seems to hold well enough in sandy bottoms...not so great in clay or pebbles.

Anyway, if you wiggle it just right it will slide into the locker. I used 2 sections of 2 inch sch 40 PVC to hold the anchor in place. I cut a groove in each section and mounted them on the sides of the locker to receive the fluke ends. I'm still fine tuning the whole thing, but it works for now.

You may want to check out one of those collapsable box anchors advertised in PB mag. They may be a good solution for Fastech owners..although I have no experience with them. The chrome ones look cool too!

Funny enough... I asked my dealer for a solution...they told me to store my anchor in the gunwale and carry it accross the deck....
Old 03-14-2008, 06:12 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

My 312 did not have anyway to secure the anchor.....in some 3 footers it tore the inside of that compartment all to he11. I'd consider keeping the anchor in one of the rear side storage compartments (that's where they go on my 382)
Old 03-14-2008, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 5PMSMWHR
I have a fortress, trimmed cross bar and removed a few inches of total length to get it to fit, still works great.

If you purchased the right boat it would have come with one. My hooker is stainless steel, polished, with SS chain and 150 of rope, and fits like a glove in a stainless bracket that locks it in so it can't move at all, no hack saw required. Standard Equiptment, Gotta Love It!

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 03-14-2008 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:22 PM
BL6
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

We actually keep alum fortress in cockpit on side. Use the anchor locker for fenders.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

why keep an anchor forward at all?
risk damage?
or carry the wieght?

or keep it elsewhere and complain about carrying it over the deck???

drop/throw it over the side, or off the stern and come around to it or walk the line forward.

drop/throw it over the side and back down from it/past it if your trying to stern into a spot.

all it takes is a little planning.

if you have an appropriate anchor style for the bottom and 5-6' of chain between the fluke and rope rode, it'll hook up as soon as there is pull on it and will stay that way especially with chain wieght keeping the fluke down.

the only instance I can think of needing to go off the bow is if your already in a raft and more holding power needs to go out.
though in that situation you can't throw it far enough to get out an effective amount of scope anyway.
this is why you see people playing the "pull up and toss the anchor again game" all the time.
It's right there with ramp entertainment IMHO

Last edited by Rippem; 03-14-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Registered

In my 312 I use a 12" box anchor with the bar removed and 6 feet of chain added, I used thick carpet in the anchor storage. I keep a 16" box anchor under the back seat.. I like to stay put
Old 03-14-2008, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

15 lb. navy with 5' of 5/16" chain and 75' of rope rode.

20 lb. navy with 6' of 3/8" chain and 100' of rope rode.
Don't get that one out more than once or twice a season, unless I'm overnighting on the hook.

I have dragged the 15lb'er in sand (swinging too) once or twice but never "broke anchor".

key as always, regardless of rode...is SCOPE.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:36 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Dont know it would be worth the effort but what about storing the line/chain in the locker and then uncpl the anchor to be stored elswhere? No wet line in the boat ....

Quick Reply: Anchor that Fits - 353 storage bin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.