Notices
Formula

Thoughts on a 382 Fastech

Old 04-09-2008, 05:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thoughts on a 382 Fastech

I Have had many boats over the years the last few have been fountains 33/35s thinking of a 38 Fastech this time around 2 Im looking at one 97 and one 98 both w/500 hps Looking for opinions of this model resale, ride, . also thoughts on a 35 Fastech as well Thanks Bob.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:18 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

If a cabin is important then the 382 is for you. A 353 is the better performer and more "agile". The 353 will be 4-5 mph faster with the same power and feels more nimble in turns. The 382 is a wave crusher that still moves well but lets you relax in A/C while pulling beers out of the frig during commercials on the TV.
We overnight a bit and love our 382....it's for sale since our overnighters are often with 3 kids and a 370SS is on the radar.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:38 AM
rjr
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would add that the 382 CRUSHES waves because it is HEAVY. Mine is around 15K on a steel trailer and full gas. IMHO a 1 ton diesel duelly is the minimum tow vehicle. You hear from a lot of people that you don't need DRW, and I have seen one 382 towed with a 3/4T Suburban(Big Block) but none of those vehicles are RATED by the manufacture to tow that much weight. I unintentionallly got into a Ford vs Chevy contest on this subject last week. Just so that I don't stir that conversation up again please check the manufactures specs yourself. Specifically the small print that says ""when properly equiped" & conventional hitch vs 5th wheel. You will note that few if any 38's are on a gooseneck trailer.

Bottom line. I cannot imagine a better cruising boat. I believe the fuel economy is about 1 MPG if I am cruising in the low to mid 30's. That's about the same as my friend with a 37' Nordic Tug doing 10 knots
Old 04-09-2008, 08:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tow Truck Is Not a issue I have a EXT cab Duramax Dually 4x4 so think I have it covered ,t 500hp What are you asking for yours? the boat on LI im looking at I Had a interesting call w a broker who told me dont bother to look at the boat if The # the customer is asking is not what your prepaired to pay If you get real call me(He said) I will set up a meeting(I know where the boat is and the owners name Tempted to go around the broker.. I think it the Yankee trader in me the boat prices are always asking unless it is perfect (New) .What your saying is what I was picturing for performance How is time to plane and visability on accl? My Fountains were never bow hi and time to plane was good. thanks for the input

Last edited by blownincome; 04-09-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:43 AM
rjr
Registered

I spent a couple of years looking for the right boat. I didn't notice much of a connection between equipment and asking price. In fact asking prices seemed to be based more on what the other guy was asking than what boats were actually selling for
There were a couple on Long Is. that were so over priced I do not think they will ever sell. Not only are they salt water boats, but they were not well equiped. If you are patient the right boat will come along. With gas prices the way they are maybe sooner than you think.

You should Consider:
stepped hull Beginning in 1997 7% more efficient (Faster)
Modern helm (white) starting in 1998 (I think)
Trailer (aluminum preferred for weight)
Generator (mainly so my wife could run her hair dryer and
curling iron.
A/C
Blue motors (the 500's are pretty reliable but they are
expensive)
Canvas all have a cockpit cover some have mooring covers
and a few have the camper canvas
Ext boxes
Vacuflush Head. It's a nice head but takes up space in the engine room right in front of the starboard motor which is aggravating.

I have not had my 38 long enough to offer much advice but I hope this helps.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:50 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by blownincome
Tow Truck Is Not a issue I have a EXT cab Duramax Dually 4x4 so think I have it covered ,t 500hp What are you asking for yours? the boat on LI im looking at I Had a interesting call w a broker who told me dont bother to look at the boat if The # the customer is asking is not what your prepaired to pay If you get real call me(He said) I will set up a meeting(I know where the boat is and the owners name Tempted to go around the broker.. I think it the Yankee trader in me the boat prices are always aking unless it is perfect (New) .What your saying is what I was picturing for performance How is time to plane and visability on accl? My Fountains were never bow hi and time to plane was good. thanks for the input
To much info to re-type so follow the link. If your interested feel free to "call me out" by asking the general population here or on Speedwake what they know about me or the boat. I'm confident you'll hear nothing but good things.

http://www.speedwake.com/newclassifi...hp?product=591
Old 04-09-2008, 09:52 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by rjr
I would add that the 382 CRUSHES waves because it is HEAVY. Mine is around 15K on a steel trailer and full gas. IMHO a 1 ton diesel duelly is the minimum tow vehicle. You hear from a lot of people that you don't need DRW, and I have seen one 382 towed with a 3/4T Suburban(Big Block) but none of those vehicles are RATED by the manufacture to tow that much weight...................
The wife's daily driver is a 3/4 burb and WAS our tow vehicle...soon after stepping up to the 382 I had to go buy a truck. Ended up with a F-350 Lariat 4-door DRW PSD. Now towing is a breeze in comparison...that Burb was s.t.r.u.g.g.l.i.n.g!!!
Old 04-09-2008, 10:09 AM
rjr
Registered

Just my .02 but t500's boat has everything you are looking for. I forgot the S/S windshield. It's not necessary but they sure look great!

Some of those LI boats are in the same ballpark pricewise for older less well equipped saltwater boats.

I guess ease of towing is a matter of experience. My friend with the "Burb" swears it tows great. I towed my boat home for the first time with a 3/4T PU and knew before I got off the boat ramp that it was going to talke a lot more than that. Yesterday I towed it to the marina with the same rig t500 has. It was smooth as silk. I can't believe that your Chevy will do any worse
Old 04-09-2008, 10:17 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Another OSO member, Tarheel, went from a 35 Fountain to a 382, had it about 2 seasons, went back to a 42 Fountain. PM him about his experiences with the Formula. He didnt have any problems with the boat, just a bigger change than he anticipated.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:35 AM
rjr
Registered

According to Reggie the 42 Lightening is 1000# heavier than the 382! Add the extra trailer & gas you are probably 16 - 18k. Probably need a gooseneck and an F450 or equivelant to pull that. Did Tarheel say why he switched?

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a 382 Fastech

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.