Fastech 292 Ride Characteristics

Notices
Formula

Fastech 292 Ride Characteristics

Old 04-25-2008, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Fastech 292 Ride Characteristics

I'm starting to think about getting a bigger boat. The Fastech 292 is on the short list. I'd be looking at the '02 to '05 model years. I've heard that this boat can have a difficult time getting on plane with a full load of fuel and people, even with 6.2's. Is this true? I'd appreciate any comments from owners about their experiences with the 292.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Define FULL LOAD?

Yes it's true 292's are slow out of the whole to get onto plane but there are things to do that can help. Put the trim tabs all they way down out of the hole will lift the rear end as you come onto plane. Keep the watering tank full will add more weight up front to help. I've also have read something about removing the spacers on the outdrives to allow to you ower them more, but for planing only. I have a 292 with 350's, with 3 grown men on board the bow will rise briefly but only for a second or two then settles down. The ride though after that is great, for a 29 foot boat it's solid. 1-2 foot chop it just skims across the top of it like nothing.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Registered

A friend told me that with 6 adults on board and a full tank of gas, everyone but the captain had to go up front to get the boat on plane.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Plum_Crazy
A friend told me that with 6 adults on board and a full tank of gas, everyone but the captain had to go up front to get the boat on plane.
WOW - did that boat have trim tabs / K-planes? I remember those days from the past on other boats I had, but after twin blower motors that put an end to that no matter how many people on board.

But w/ twins on a 29' that is sorta sad if true. I'm guessing that it didn't have K-planes - adding those can help quite a bit over puny Bennets.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jaybird
WOW - did that boat have trim tabs / K-planes? I remember those days from the past on other boats I had, but after twin blower motors that put an end to that no matter how many people on board.

But w/ twins on a 29' that is sorta sad if true. I'm guessing that it didn't have K-planes - adding those can help quite a bit over puny Bennets.

I don't know the answer to that. But, I'm glad to hear that it's fixable. I typically only boat with 2 - 4 people, anyway.

I'm still leaning toward the 292 because of the overall quality of the boat. However, I don't always like the color combos I see out there. Other choices are the 28ZX, 29 Fever w/twins, 31 Sonic, 32 Sunsation, or even a 312 Fastech. 32' is the limit, though.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:26 PM
Registered

Unfortunately the color combo's of the past were limited. Formula has now come to their sense and offers every color option on every model. Color combo's was a reason why I was so picky as well. I ended up finding an 02 model with the red, black, and blue color combo. Looks nice, especially sitting in the water.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:14 PM
Registered

Tabs down drives in get it moving then full throttle,they raise the bow up for a few seconds then plane off.Other than that they are a fun boat to run and will run strait most of the time.They do not like a side wind (rollers) coming from either the port or starboard though.
They are also not that bad on fuel for there size
Old 04-26-2008, 07:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned an 02 292 and all I can say is that when I go back to a performance boat, I'll buy another one.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Plum,
I have an 2006 292 with 6.2's. Never have any problems getting on plane. I run labbed 28" pitch Bravos and the engines turn right at 5000 rpm top speed. Most I have had in the boat was 5 adults and 3 kids and full fuel. No problem planing. I changed the position of the trim-in limit spacers which helps (see link for explanation).

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...+limit+spacers

Since then I also had K-Planes installed. Planes out even better and the rough water ride is great! See link below for more.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...light=K-planes

IMO the 292 is a great all around boat. Small enough to trailer without too much trouble, but big enough to handle the rough water. Small blocks help in the gas department and she will still touch 70 mph. Lots of options down the road to improve that top speed! We also got the bimini option with full encloser and sleep on it when camping on the river. Good luck on your search!
Old 04-26-2008, 10:54 AM
Registered

Great info. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Fastech 292 Ride Characteristics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.