89 octane in 600's

Notices
Formula

89 octane in 600's

Old 05-13-2008, 04:16 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 382 leaves in the morning headed north. We got the issue worked out. This was a very frustrating deal but it did have a happy ending after all for everyone.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Magicfloat
The 382 leaves in the morning headed north. We got the issue worked out. This was a very frustrating deal but it did have a happy ending after all for everyone.
CONGRATZ BIG DADDY Sounds like you'll be havin a few drinks after that one
Old 05-13-2008, 05:01 PM
Registered

Another option (though it would void warranty, as little warranty there is on Merc racing engines) is to have the ecu reprogrammed for lower octane fuel, since the boost(wastegate) and timing in that engine are ecu controlled it would not be a big deal to have it tuned to safely run lower octane fuel, probably give up 50-75 horsies though.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Actually,all Formulas,even 600's,have a 5 year engine and drive warranty thru an outside company called SeaSafe,a company that has been great to deal with. But I got all that covered,customer is happy,I'm happy,bank is happy,my contract driver is happy. And yes a drink or 2 tonight,just sold my 370 and one of my tradein 353's. The reports of the death of the marine industry have been somewhat premature. It may not be great,but it is looking up.Not out of the woods yet,but getting a little closer everyday.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:32 PM
Registered

Thats pretty damn sweet, 5 year warranty on the merc race stuff. Formula has got it going on!
Old 05-13-2008, 07:59 PM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

Wow! Robert glad to hear it has all worked out for the both of you.

JB
Old 05-14-2008, 06:16 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sweet-talker......
Old 05-20-2008, 12:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

phazar is right. Boats USUALLY don't have O2 sensors for good reasons

1) water vapor in the exhaust will kill an O2 sensor very quickly.
2) Boats run a pretty straightforward engine load/throttle opening curve and do not require a closed loop dynamic map for engine operation like a car does.

Boat ECUs are usually mapped aainst a standard load curve, and MAP sensors, coolant temp sensors, knock sensors, throttle position sensors, engine speed sensors, ambient baro and air temp sensors are usually the whole shebang for the realm of boating fuel and spark curve management.

Besides, when is the last time you saw an O2 sensor sticking out of the side of a CMI tailpipe?

Take a peek and then you'll know..

mc
Old 06-19-2008, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Phazar454Mag
O2 sensors on a 600 SCi ? I don't think that the 600 SCi's have O2 sensors. I don't have 600 SCi's so I don't know, but I would be surprised if that is the case. Is this really true ?
No, they do not have 02 sensors. The Torco octane booster works really well, but it WILL kill the spark plugs quickly so it's good for emegency, but not common use. I've used it thousands of times in cars and some boats, but spark plugs just don't like it.

I can tell you though, the 600sci will run on 89 octane, 87 is borderline, but 89 will run and will not detonate. Mercury Racing keeps a very large margin for bad gas, hot temps, hot water, overheat, plugged filter, etc. so the 89 will have less margin for error, but with everthing being right, it will certainly run and make 600hp.

I also have some intercooler upgrades that will help it by taking another 25deg F from the system.

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 06-19-2008, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Phazar454Mag
I am also in Denmark and have Scorpion engines that require 98 RON (91-92 PON). Boat is kept in the water so I have the same problem. There are very few gas stations on land that have the high octane fuel here because of the MTBE content, but I am lucky that there is one gas station in my town that has the high octane fuel and it is on my way to the boat so I also use cans to carry the fuel and really it is no problem. If I go for a longer trip and need to refuel at a marina to be able to return home I carry an octane booster.
Trick would be to knock a few deg's of timing out of it, will lose a few hp's, but I bet you won't see much of a difference.

Also keep in mind, you could slap a set of the Etec heads from Edelbrock on this engine and you'll basically make the same power, but you can easily do it on 87 octane.

Thanks,
Dustin

Quick Reply: 89 octane in 600's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.