Lack of Gauges on Formula's

Notices
Formula

Lack of Gauges on Formula's

Old 03-02-2002, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lack of Gauges on Formula's

Just wondering how many of you are happy with the gauge packages from formula or should I say lack of. Mine is a 94 336
and it has the same gauges as the new ones. 2 tachs, 2 oil pressure, 2 temperature, 1 voltmeter, 1 fuel.

I personally would like to see a voltmeter for both motors, along with oil temperature, and water pressure.

That's about another $200.00 in gauges at the most, on boats that people are buying at $100,000 dollars and up.

Boiler Daddy mabye you can shed some light on Formula's thinking
on why they supply a limited number of gauges, and I'm curious as to the rest of the formula owners feelings on it.
Old 03-02-2002, 11:34 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that for the most part that the guages that they are using are the important ones. As far as the single volt meter that is all you need. If your battery switch is set to both that one guage is reading the voltage of both batteries. If you are running on one or the other battery then it reads of that one. Hope I explained that right. I will be adding some guages to my boat this spring depending on how the paint project goes and if time permits.

Jon
Old 03-02-2002, 12:33 PM
Registered

Cool

Hi Ron, If you are unhappy you could do what I did and make your own dash. I didnt like the old black VDO's so I spent a couple of dollars buy the gauges you like find a good piece of dash material have it cut using a water jet, have it all done by merc,then realize there needs to be more room on dash area. Heres a pic of mine. I've put myself through all the torture so I can share any suggestions with you. MFB
Attached Thumbnails Lack of Gauges on Formula's-guages.jpg  
Old 03-02-2002, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good MFB !! Ya gotta b proud a dat !!!!!
Old 03-02-2002, 02:53 PM
Registered

MFB, I've given thought to doing the dash in a carbon fiber look, and putting in gaffrig gauges, and I may still do this, but I'm just really curious as to why formula does'nt do it right away.

Audiofin, here is my issue with just one volt meter, and maybe there is something that I'm missing but:

If I turn the ignition key on without starting the starboard motor I will get a volt reading on my batteries, if I do the same with the port motor their is no reading, which is no big deal because like you said I can find out the condition of both batteries if the switch is set on both.

Now if I actually start the starboard motor the volt gauge goes up somewhat and I know that the alternator is charging, however since the port motor gives no reading how do I know if the alternator is working on the port motor.

Like I said maybe I'm missing something but it seems to me that it would be good information to have.
Attached Thumbnails Lack of Gauges on Formula's-resize.jpg  
Old 03-02-2002, 03:28 PM
Registered

Ron, You can put in a switch to flip from one engine back to the other. Also you can move your hour meters away to under dash on side panel freeing up some spaces. I put a Syncro 3 1/2" gauge in middle ahead of wheel. Then put depth and clock up on top where hour meters were.
Birddog, Thanks for compliment it was more of a project than it looks.I changed everything up there switches,indicators,controls,wiring harnesses,cables,well you get the point. Definatly gives it a much nicer look. especially at night. Then when I did all that realized I should do all opholestry$$$$$.
ron, If I can help at all let me know. Mark B.
Attached Thumbnails Lack of Gauges on Formula's-seats-dash-kens.jpg  
Old 03-03-2002, 03:35 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh my god not only has he typed more then one line but he also got pictures in hear!!!!! Man you must have brain cramp Nice looking boat MFB!!!! Now if you want you can run the possitive from both keys to the same guage. Since they have the same potential then you are ok doing that. If you want an indicator of your alternator then you want a AMP meter not a volt meter.

Jon
Old 03-03-2002, 09:16 AM
Registered

That looks great! Much better than the stock black with the square bezels. If you don't mind me asking, what did the guages cost and did they just hook up to the existing wiring and sensors??
Old 03-03-2002, 01:09 PM
Registered

Jon, that took me 5 minutes to type.Its not easy the letters are never where i remember them last.
Bill, the wiring harnesses were all replaced at the same time I put in new 502EFI's.So the new harnesses were set up for the new gauges. I believe for the gauges and polished bezels, indicators,dash,was around $4500. then I put in new controls another $1100. then all new Gaffrig switches of course everything had to match. It was nice to get away from the square bezels.
Thanks for compliments guys, we need to keep these old birds flying! MFB
Old 03-04-2002, 11:47 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Mark, that is a nice-looking job! I took one look at that and said to myself, "Whoa! A Euro gray interior!" It's been a long time since I saw one of those, but it really is sharp!

Ron, the reason Formula doesn't install all those gauges is pretty much what Audio's answer was: We just put in the "necessary" gauges. Formula has a history of rigging boats without a lot of clutter. You don't see extra fittings on the deck that aren't needed, and we don't want to end up with a dash so cluttered that it isn't easy to read. Cost really isn't the issue.

As for the voltmeters, one is really all that's necessary in most cases. In addition, once the motors are both running (or so I've been told), usually one of the voltage sensors on the alternators will be more sensitive than the other, and that ends up being the only one that ever really supplies the current for both engines (as long as both engines are running). That would make your second voltmeter redundant, unless you wanted to compare battery voltages with the engines off.

Hope that helps!

Quick Reply: Lack of Gauges on Formula's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.