Windshield removal

Notices
Formula

Windshield removal

Old 09-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Windshield removal

I was looking for a link to removing the windshield. I know it is leaking and I am going to fully remove it and reseal. Any tips or tricks that you ran into while removing yours?

Thanks
Old 09-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Prater
I was looking for a link to removing the windshield. I know it is leaking and I am going to fully remove it and reseal. Any tips or tricks that you ran into while removing yours?

Thanks
Hey Prater,

I just had mine done on my '88 311 ..... oddly enough it wasn't as much the frame that was leaking as opposed to the actual window panes in the frame .... when you do it the more people you have the easier it is to hold it in place ....

I personally didn't do mine .... I know a guy who does boat repairing and he did it for me ..... he said it really isn't a big deal.
I also called Formula and there isn't really any "special" gasket or seal that they use for thier windshield installs.

What happens is the water comes down the windshield leaks into the frame and then leaks under the frame making it look like the frame "isn't " sealed to the boat properly.

If I had to do it again I would probably call a windshield guy to do it .... with regards to sealing the panes in the frame.

Good Luck .....

Jeff
Old 09-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Registered

Thanks Jeff.

I have the boat indoors at the moment so I will be doing all the seals on top before pulling it home to repair the cabin floor. Good thing I left it in storage last night, it is pouring rain here today.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:34 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I removed mine by myself on the 312 a few years ago. It was screwed down along the front outside and the 4 sections literally just slide down inside each other at the "seams" (1998 model, not sure about yours). I would have prefered having someone around, especially since I've found out how much they cost to replace now.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Registered

I asm considering replaceing the hatches as well. Any recomendation on new hatches? the old ones just stick up a bit too much for me.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:48 PM
BL6
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

I was wondering about repainting my wind shield frame. If I dissemble from top down, can I remove bottom frame rail from up top (deck)? Or do you have to access bolts below?
Old 09-10-2008, 11:24 PM
Registered

Damn, the boat is dirty as hell. seemed to be 1/4 inch of dirt on the deck. I removed the vent hatches so I can get them repainted and resealed. I will be pulling the windshield for a reseal when I get some help...

I also pulled the damaged fender

Old 09-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Registered

Just a few bent screws. I cant believe they would only have some stainless screws holding the windshield on. Only other support was the side handrail...

Old 09-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Prater ...lookin good ..... keep us posted ....m
Old 09-17-2008, 11:16 PM
Registered

I am really considering a fairing instead of resealing the windshield. I just can not make up my mind.

Quick Reply: Windshield removal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.