More Speed Please

Notices
Formula

More Speed Please

Old 03-07-2002, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question More Speed Please

I have a 382 Fastech with HP500EFI motors, Silent Thunder exhaust, Bravo One drives and 28p props. This boat is loaded including a generator, so its a bit heavy. All covered by the 5yr Formula Guard Warranty. I am not looking to upgrade the motors at this time (warranty) but I am looking for ways to get more speed out of this boat. Does anyone have any suggestions or positive experiences with the drives or props that may help.

Thanks
Old 03-07-2002, 07:23 PM
Registered

What RPM are you turning with WOT.What top speed. You may consider using mirage prop to get higher top end, and if budget allows a set of extension boxes(approx 8-10K)Boxes will give you around 5-7 mph increase on that hull(I believe).Some more info on the above questions can help pinpoint a solution better. sounds like a great boat I would suggest bieng happy with 75-78mph? MFB
Old 03-08-2002, 12:13 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder if the Herring Props would work as well on a Formula as they did on my buddies Cig Top Gun.
Old 03-08-2002, 11:28 AM
Registered

Lightbulb more specs

Last sunday my best speed I saw all day was 74mph on GPS but most of the time in calmer water I read 72.5 mph@5100. I am currently running 28p 4blade merc props. I have some performance thoughts, tell me what you guys think.

Remove silent thunder exhaust replace with Teague Captain choice tips.

Install lab30p props and turn inside rotation for more lift. Or the Hydro 5 blade

Install Imco lowers to lower the x dimension.

I would like to install ext. boxes but they are out of my budget and I believe they would add extra weight to an already heavy boat.

I would be extremely happy if the boat hit 80 but would be satisfied with high 70's

PS: Troutly
You are right, they did not offer this warranty until 2001. This boat was purchased direct from dealer inventory, as new, late last year. I was able to weasel that into the deal
Old 03-08-2002, 01:45 PM
Registered

Default Troutly:

Thanks, I will
Old 03-08-2002, 03:13 PM
Registered

Default Troutly

Magicfloat gave me the Tim Allen line

Needs more power

He was very informative

Thanks
Old 03-08-2002, 03:58 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hot Water,

I may have missed this in reading the thread too fast (getting close to beer-thirty on Friday), but what altitude are you at?
Old 03-08-2002, 08:31 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Hot Water, I misunderstood you on the phone,you said you had 502's and I assumed you meant 502 MPI's,not HP 500's.But the advice is still the same, you need more power. Boxes are not the way to go,you have to raise the X-dimension and reinforce the transom,very expensive for a marginal gain. Two words from me-Pro Chargers.As far as warranty,anything you do to increase power could void your warranty. But a lot of that would depend on the shop doing the warranty work,I won't get into that here.Our Procharged Formulas have shown tremendous gains. 312with 454mag MPI's, 73 mph to 88 mph, 353 with HP500carbs,82 mph to 98 mph. Never a problem if the installation is done by a competent shop. You willhave to go to 1.36 gears and maybe a prop change.You have to decide how fast do you want to go and how much do you want to spend. everything is a trade off.
Old 03-11-2002, 10:54 AM
Registered

Default Magicfloat

Those are some huge gains
I looked at a Pro Charger setup over the weekend on a twin 500efi at a Pro Charger dealer. It was quite impressive. I am going on a test run today or tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think.

Thanks for all your help
Old 03-11-2002, 10:58 AM
Registered

Default Boilerdaddy

I boat on the Sacramento River Delta in Northern California. This area is all sealevel.

Quick Reply: More Speed Please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.