Notices
Formula

353 Speeds

Old 11-19-2008, 08:06 AM
Where To
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sleek1
Yes, the engines still have the factory seals on them (according to the surveyor). I bought the boat last March and wasn't about to sit on the shoreline another summer. Decided to take an "educated" risk and use the boat til this winter. The boat looked like it had been well taken care of (good brand of oil, etc) compression was no lower than 153 and most were in the 160s. Not many hours at WOT. No problems so far and I'll get the springs done before it warms up again. Oh wait, it was 87* yesterday.
Pretty sure they don't seal the valve covers on the 500's or the 525's. That's all that would need to be removed to replace the springs. Not only that, I would think at that, 480 hours, they would have had to be replaced WOT alot or not.

Just my .02!

Dave
Old 11-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, maybe you're right. All I know is I bought the boat from an OSO member whom I trust. He said the springs were never done and he was about to do them when he decided to sell the boat. The surveyor (very well respected member of OSO) told me the engines were never opened "they still have the seals on them". I'm no mechanic so I took his word on it. I don't see what advantage it would be to tell me the springs were never replaced if in fact they were. Either way that's what I "know" and am thankful I didn't have any problems.

Last edited by sleek1; 11-19-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:06 PM
Registered

Sleek,

The wire seals are on the heads and the intake manifold. If the guy who sold it to you said they weren't replaced, I'd believe him. From the info I've gathered the 500efis have a lot more longevity in that respect as compared to the carb'd 500s. My buddy Axa is a bit of a valve spring afficianado. His little buddy and him discussed this topic in the boathouse at length
Old 11-19-2008, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Not to be argumentative here, but Merc places the seals thru two of the intake bolts and thru all three of the balancer bolts. That is the way my carb 500s were done, that's the way my 525s are done. I can only believe the in-between 500 EFIs were the same. Never seen the head bolts done, or the valve covers. Merc has a service bulletin on the 500Carb/EFI to "check" valve springs at 250 +/- hrs. I do have a close buddy that has 400+ on the springs in a pair of 500 carbs and it still runs fine, he does not run it very hard at all. He even went 300+ hrs before he broke down and put a set of plugs in it.

As far as springs go...............500 carbs had Crane which were chit. 500 EFIs have Comp springs which are marginally better. The springs to use are Isky SP Endurance or the Isky Tool Room springs, more money for sure but then you get what you pay for. I believe the other half of the Boathouse debate went with Iskys in the last round of rebuilds.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
As far as springs go...............500 carbs had Crane which were chit. 500 EFIs have Comp springs which are marginally better. The springs to use are Isky SP Endurance or the Isky Tool Room springs, more money for sure but then you get what you pay for. I believe the other half of the Boathouse debate went with Iskys in the last round of rebuilds.
I love it when you guys start talking about valve springs!!

To do the springs or not to do???
Old 11-19-2008, 07:28 PM
Registered

No problem fellas, I'm not trying to start another debate on valve springs. I was just telling my story and the fact that I'm replacing my springs this winter at said hours. I'm only posting this info because there seem to be at least two camps between the 500hp and 500efi as to when to replace springs. Take it with a grain of salt... it's free info and we all know you get what you pay for. I guess we did get a little off topic, didn't mean to be a thread jacker.

Last edited by sleek1; 11-19-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by upstate31sonic
I love it when you guys start talking about valve springs!!

To do the springs or not to do???
How many hours are you at?
Old 11-20-2008, 07:07 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 5PMSMWHR
How many hours are you at?
290!!! and you?? I was thinking you were going to pass me on the water and on the HR meter this year..
Old 11-21-2008, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by upstate31sonic
290!!! and you?? I was thinking you were going to pass me on the water and on the HR meter this year..

I see a challenge starting up here. Who can go the most hours on old spent valve springs before one breaks, drops a valve, and takes out a piston.

Bob... ...Mike
Old 11-21-2008, 08:25 AM
Registered

what is the cost of a good set of springs for the 500 efi's installed?

Quick Reply: 353 Speeds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.