Winterizing Quetions 1989 272 t/454's

Notices
Formula

Winterizing Quetions 1989 272 t/454's

Old 11-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winterizing Quetions 1989 272 t/454's

Hey guys money is tight right now, so this year I am trying to winterize my boat myself instead of paying my mechanic this year.So the only big thing for me to do is the motors,so I know there is a couple ways of doing it, my mechanic had a 5 gallon bucket and hose to some engine couplers setup, so all he had to do is run the motors and let them such the antifreeze up until it comes outthe exhaust. But I know Rambunctious(?) did it another way by pouring antifreeze into a hose on the front of the motor...Anyways here is a pic, what hose is it? What is the process of doing this and any other tips you guys have for winterizing?

Not my boat but same setup( I think this is Bryanw's boat)
Old 11-12-2008, 07:48 PM
Registered

p.s sorry if my words sound messed up my brain is really slow today...
Old 11-12-2008, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

the the hose from the seawater pump, you do need to run the motors for a bit if you have thermostats to open them up.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
the the hose from the seawater pump, you do need to run the motors for a bit if you have thermostats to open them up.
Which one is that? Left or Right on the thermostat housing?Or the one below them?
Old 11-13-2008, 12:51 PM
Registered

Actually I was just looking on boaters world site and found this.

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/178050035.htm

I think I will go buy it this weekend and do my boat this way.Whatcha think?
Old 11-13-2008, 01:10 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I bought one...but I had made one from a 5 gallon bucket in the early 90's. Do you have a thermostat (I'm not amiliar with crossovers). If so, you need to run the boat on the hose til it gets to operating temp......then shut it down, open all the block/hose drains, then hook it up to the anti-freeze and re-start the motor. Let about 4 gallons run through each engine then shut it down. If possible once about 1/2 the anti-freeze has run through, start spraying fogging oil down the carb until it chokes itself off.

My buddy has a similar set-up and just drains everything and then pours anti-freeze into some hoses......but I don't know which ones, etc.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by t500hps
I bought one...but I had made one from a 5 gallon bucket in the early 90's. Do you have a thermostat (I'm not amiliar with crossovers). If so, you need to run the boat on the hose til it gets to operating temp......then shut it down, open all the block/hose drains, then hook it up to the anti-freeze and re-start the motor. Let about 4 gallons run through each engine then shut it down. If possible once about 1/2 the anti-freeze has run through, start spraying fogging oil down the carb until it chokes itself off.

My buddy has a similar set-up and just drains everything and then pours anti-freeze into some hoses......but I don't know which ones, etc.
Yeah thats exactly what I'm going to do, so you bought one of these?How does it work? Worth the $35 for it? Is your buddy Ramb?
Old 11-13-2008, 03:15 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by pshannon
Yeah thats exactly what I'm going to do, so you bought one of these?How does it work? Worth the $35 for it? Is your buddy Ramb?
No, the buddy I'm refering too isn't on OSO.
I had used that bucket for YEARS. This boat has the A/C pickup under the steps in the cabin. I wanted something that was cleaner/easier to carry down there to winterize the A/C.....this works fine for that so I use it for the engines too now.

The bucket worked just as well but this item doesn't cost that much more than the parts I had bought to make the bucket. (I should have patented that thing.....it was a one of a kind in 1993!!!)
Old 11-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I use the same system for my single, warm the engine, then drain the oil, warm engine again, then run 5 gal of anti-freeze thru. I have been doing it for years and know problems.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by masi242
I use the same system for my single, warm the engine, then drain the oil, warm engine again, then run 5 gal of anti-freeze thru. I have been doing it for years and know problems.
Drain the oil?

Quick Reply: Winterizing Quetions 1989 272 t/454's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.