?'s About  1988 Sr-1 311 w/400hrs. >

?'s About 1988 Sr-1 311 w/400hrs.

Notices
Formula

?'s About 1988 Sr-1 311 w/400hrs.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?'s About 1988 Sr-1 311 w/400hrs.

I am thinking of purchasing 1988 Formula Sr-1 311 for a guy locally, MN.

It has twin 454 with low hours, built to Mercury marine race specs. The outdrives are perfomance TRS.

This is all new language to me as I am just getting into the boating scene. I had to change hobbies due to a bad injury which forced my to sell the motorcycles.

All though I know a little bit about engines I am not to fluent in the boating terms.

Iwas curious as to how much maintenance this boat will require. I know the term high Performance can be used pretty losely and he is trying to sell the boat, but I have had several Ducati bike and they were considered High Maintenance and I did nothing really out of ordinary to them.

Maybe someone even knows the boat here. It is listed on ebay right now.

If you guys have any things I should look for or stay away from that would be awesome.

Thnaks,
Miles
Old 12-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

The 311 is one of the finest models Formula ever built. Looks nice in the pics,but the main thing to remember is the boat is 20 years old. You must get a survey from a trusted surveyor,that is the most important thing. A few years ago a close friend bought a seemingly flawless 311,looked like it just left the factory it was so nice. Second trip out one engine blew,limping home,the other engine blew.When we pulled the engines we discovered rotted stringers. He spent a lot of money on 2 new engines and new stingers. He now has a perfect 311 that he loves,but his original purchase price doubled. Most 311 owners love their boats,just investigate the condition of things that may not be readily apparent. Good luck.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:47 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

assuming that is the boat listed on ebay, i would think that low 20's would be an absolute steal for that boat. updated interior, low hours on rebuilds and the best part, TRS drives. i know there has been alot of debate about trs vs. bravo drives(which also were offered on these boats), but in my opion there is no comparison, the trs drives are a far superior drive. a few years back i had a 30 scarab that i thought rode well until i rode in my buddy's 311, there was no comparison, the 311 made my scarab feel like a pounder. Keep the k-planes down and it will slice through anything! just wondering what the seller is willing to take? if your seriously looking for a 311 i would'nt wait too long as i think this boat will sell.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Registered

Thumbs down 15k

i just read your other post in general boating forum. no offense but offering 15K for that boat is a joke. no way he sells that boat for that.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:06 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Regardless of the argument of the merit of TRS vs Bravos,Bravos will always be worth more on resale.But I agree, 15K is not a serious offer.

Last edited by Magicfloat; 12-16-2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Registered

I agree that 15k would be low balling, but I think we are all guilty of it soometime in our lives.

We are in tough times right now and I personally know of a couple of relatives that are in financial hardship who have had to dump all there toys for next to nothing. (07' Ducati 1098, for $9,500)

I have talked to him via email and he said he would like to get 20k, but he was open to offers, must sell!!!!

This would tell me he may also be in financial hardship, and I hate to take advatage of someone in trouble but, well, like I said we are in tough times.

Best Buy just announced that there profit was down 77%, that is unheard of.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by movado750
Iwas curious as to how much maintenance this boat will require.
Twin engines and 30+ feet take a lot of time, especially if you want it to look good and stay looking good. Just basic bare maintenance should include engine oil/filter, drive fluid, fuel filter; these are annual times 2 engines. Then you have regular inspection and lubrication of everything from outdrives to steering, cooling system, exhaust and controls. And don't forget the trailer: hubs need regular lube and inspect plus upkeep of the braking system and tires. Don't forget the occassional blown bulb.
On a regular basis (every use or every couple weeks) you want to make sure the interior is clean and dry. The cockpit vinyl needs to be cleaned and protected regularly. The hull needs to be waxed and metal needs to be polished at least once a year.

If it sounds daunting, good. There's a reason Formulas enjoy the reputation they have, which is top of the line. Treat the boat right and it will last forever and look like new for almost as long.

As for the price, go ahead and offer. I don't think it's unreasonable given the current economic situation, time of year (can it even be floated and run in MN now?), unknown engine stats, and non-original cosmetics. That grayscale color scheme needs to be changed.

Get a professional surveyor familiar with Formula to check the stringers and transom, including the bilge forward bulkhead. Look for a clean bilge. Look underneath the engine and exhaust for rust and corrossion.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

movado750 .... where are you? can you personally go see the boat? Handfulz28 has a good point,prob no sea trail for now ...ask where the boat is now? Inside or out? If you can inspect the boat call me and I can tell you some areas to look ...The TRS drives are really getting dated .....they are strong though ....If you bought the boat I would run them until they broke and then upgrade to Bravo's. Sounds like the motors are 420's and it sez lower hours? what are the hull hours? Those motors might be all original ...Majicfloat is right ..the 311's are one of the finest boats built...they are getting old though ...m
Attached Thumbnails ?'s About  1988 Sr-1 311 w/400hrs.-img_2216.jpg   ?'s About  1988 Sr-1 311 w/400hrs.-img_9305%2520%2528medium%2529.jpg   ?'s About  1988 Sr-1 311 w/400hrs.-img_9336%2520%2528medium%2529.jpg  

Last edited by offthefront; 12-18-2008 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by offthefront
movado750 .... where are you? can you personally go see the boat? Handfulz28 has a good point,prob no sea trail for now ...ask where the boat is now? Inside or out? If you can inspect the boat call me and I can tell you some areas to look ...The TRS drives are really getting dated .....they are strong though ....If you bought the boat I would run them until they broke and then upgrade to Bravo's. Sounds like the motors are 420's and it sez lower hours? what are the hull hours? Those motors might be all original ...Majicfloat is right ..the 311's are one of the finest boats built...they are getting old though ...m
I think opposite on TRS, I have them too, the more people change to Bravo the more parts are availible, they last good, just check them out once in a while.

In my opinion, I think a TRS 311 rides better then a Bravo one, mainly in big water, Bravo will be faster no doubt, but TRS are good drives.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think at 20k thats not a bad deal either, worst thing about the boat seems to be a updated interior with no color

Quick Reply: ?'s About 1988 Sr-1 311 w/400hrs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.