382 winterizing

Notices
Formula

382 winterizing

Old 01-07-2009, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 382 winterizing

just got my 382 back from florida, it turns out it wasnt winterized, it has 525's, any body have info on what I have to do? thanks
Old 01-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Lets get some Anti-frezze in those engines, not sure on the 525.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:39 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Antifreeze through the engines after getting it up to operating temp on the hose.....empty the fresh water tank, then pour 2 gallons pink antifreeze in the water system and run through all the hoses (don't forget the transom shower). same with the holding tank, empty, then 2 more gallons of antifreeze in there....A/C system, need to get if fired up by forcing antifreeze through that too. I use the rubber end from a set of outdrive rabbit ears and hold it tight against the top of the sea-strainer...turn on the unit and wait for it to start pulling fluid.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

525's are close-cooled, right? No need to drain the blocks; they should be full of conventional (toxic) antifreeze. Just get the pink stuff all the way through the raw water side - pickups, strainers, coolers, heat exchanger and headers. I think you can do through earmuffs; just wait for pink to come out the tailpipes.

Don't forget fuel stabilizer (run the engines long enough to get it into them) and fogging oil.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
525's are close-cooled, right? No need to drain the blocks; they should be full of conventional (toxic) antifreeze. Just get the pink stuff all the way through the raw water side - pickups, strainers, coolers, heat exchanger and headers. I think you can do through earmuffs; just wait for pink to come out the tailpipes.

Don't forget fuel stabilizer (run the engines long enough to get it into them) and fogging oil.
Correct, they are closed cooling. If you have sea strainers you can drain them, close the input valve to them and have someone pour pink antifreeze into the strainers while the engine is running. Once pure pink is coming out of the exhaust you are done. You don't have to worry about thermostats or warming up the engines since it is a FIFO system.

Or if you want you can just pull your blue plugs on the exhaust, seawater pump, and oil cooler. I believe the heat exchanger will drain through those, I don't think the exchanger has it's own plug.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if they are MPI's no fogging oil, just add some outboard motor oil to the fuel filters before you install the new ones, then simple run the engines.