Notices
Formula

28 SS Opinions

Old 03-07-2009, 09:11 AM
bn
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 28 SS Opinions

Looking for opinions on the 28 SS with twin 350's. How is the rough water ride, performance, cabin space, top speed, etc?

How does it compare to the 271 FasTech? The 271 is obviously faster. Since the 28 SS is heavier and has twins, which one handles the rough water better? There appears to be more cabin space on the 271 and a lot more cockpit space on the 28 SS.

Thanks
Old 03-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the real question is what do you plan to do

As far as the rough water ride, the 28 will more then likely be better being that it's heavier and has twin's. You won't be bounced around as much as the 271. You will probably be able to cruise at a higher speed in the 28 in rough water then the 271. I'm talking like 3-4 foot seas, not a light chop. A light chop -1 foot seas, the 271 will skate right across.

It's pretty much an even trade with these two models as far as cabin room vs cockpit room. As you said the 271 has a smaller cockpit thus a bigger cabin, the 28 has a bigger cockpit thus a smaller cabin.

The reason I ask what you plan to do is because if you're an entertainer meaning you like to bring people out with you, or if you have children the 28 might be a better option due to the larger cockpit. You can seat more people comfortably then the 271. Also has the cockpit table and wetbar. Thus with kids the larger swim platform comes in handy because it keeps them occupied with swimming, jumping, and diving and keeps them out of the cockpit. Also, if you are a overnighter the cabin although smaller then the 271 should be plenty for an overnight stay or weekend even, also the U-shaped lounge can be converted into a bed which could sleep one or two, even with the full enclosure up. Plenty of room in the V-berth to sleep two comfortable.

If your a day boater looking for something with a bit of performance then 271 is a great option. Nice quick boat, large sun pad for soaking up the sun. Also less maintainence with the single engine, only one to work on instead of 2. V-berth can fit two, a little cramped, not much room from you to the ceiling when lying down, but doable for a night or weekend even.

Both are Formula's which means your getting quality with either one, but it depends on what you plan on doing.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What type of speeds with the 28 with twin small blocks?
Old 03-11-2009, 08:34 AM
Registered

what year? the newer 28's (2005-2008) had the radar arch. thus a bit heavier. The 350s are probably the horizon motors, your looking at top speed of 50-52, with crusing speed of 27-28. Those prior to 2005, your probably looking at speeds in that range. Not much changed, basically the addition of the radar arch.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:25 PM
bn
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Splitdecision271 thanks for the info. We don't usually travel with a lot of people on board, but the extra space in the 28 would be nice when we do. Sounds like the 28 is better all around boat if you want to give up speed. Decisions, decisions ...
Old 03-13-2009, 07:51 AM
Registered

no problem anything to help, that's what we are all here for
Old 03-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Registered
Gold Member

I was under the assumption that a B3 boat with twin 350mag's would run right near 60 (assuming no arch). That not true? What are the newer ones running with the 6.2 option? I would love to have a 280 with a couple of 400hp 383's
Old 03-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

FINALLY, a post I can respond to.

3 years ago last month we bought our '99 280ss from Robert Nelems. I had sold our Z29 Donzi in the prior fall and was looking for a boat to suit our family (then 2 year old daughter). I emailed Robert and fell into a deal we could not turn down--50 hours on the boat, just needed a bit of TLC to bring back to life.

Robert guaranteed we would love the boat and our sea trial consisted of sitting inside the boat while on the trailer on a chilly February day.

It has been the PERFECT boat for us. Tons of room. Top end of 58 gps with light load but our typical cruise is 26 to 28 mph with bimini up and radio on.

We go on a river trip every year with a dozen other boats. Usually try a 100 to 120 mile trip. Once we took the first trip in the 280 we became the favorite for some friends who now refuse to take their boat but would rather go with us. Bathroom is a huge plus.

Now that we have a 2nd child, it's even more perfect. Plenty of room at the helm for me and one of the girls. Amy hangs out in the double port seat and we make a bed out of the aft lounge and let them have at it.

On our first river trip (which was the first time to be away from daughter #1), we left Chattanooga with a couple of other boats at 7:00 a.m. heading back to Guntersville. We ran most of the trip at 50 mph and were on the trailer heading home at 10:30 with a slight delay through the lock. It's not a speed boat but it will get you home if you need to.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Registered

Is the 28 available with a HP package that will top end in the mid 60's?
Old 03-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Registered

What's the highest HP twin package that Formula offers in the 28?

Quick Reply: 28 SS Opinions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.