Mufflers on a 382

Notices
Formula

Mufflers on a 382

Old 03-29-2009, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Mufflers on a 382

Well I finally did it and traded my 312 for a 382 and now have questions since I left the dealership. It has external mufflers and captains call. Is there a reason to have both? I will be boating on a local lake and the Ozarks, and think I could do without the mufflers. It also has sea strainers and I am not familiar with there operation, is there maintinance to them?
Old 03-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats on the new boat!! Post some pics
Old 03-29-2009, 10:17 AM
Registered

I new that was coming, I will as soon as I can. I am at work today and don't have access to my pics. Maybe tomorrow, and thanks I think we will like it.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Formula has always wanted to be a good citizen and not build loud boats,hence the mufflers with CC. But it is a bit of overkill for some.If local laws permit it,just replace the mufflers with straight thru tips from an online vendor and sell the mufflers on E-bay. You can also cut the baffles out of the mufflers with a die grinder,but it is a big job and may discolor the finish. Most of our customers just buy new tips.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:25 PM
Registered

Thanks Magic, since I haven't even had it on the water yet I'll see how I like it the way it is for now. I think I,d like to here those 500's,but my wife may differ.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:51 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Forgot to mention that the 500's have a "speed switch" that opens the CC at about 2800 rpm,so if you replace the tips,you will be loud above that rpm and cannot close the diverters even if you want to. Just another thing to consider.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:39 PM
Registered

heres some pictures.

I had my boat on the water for the first time today and everything went well but one red light. I don't know if the two red lights next to the tachs in these picures are stock and I am not sure what they are for, but the port one comes on at about 3000 rpms and stays on untill it drops below again. All the fluid levels are good, temp and oil preasures are good. The only thing I can think of is that they are rpm red line warnings and this one is not set right. Does anyone else have these and can help me out.
Attached Images     

Last edited by dave krehbiel; 04-11-2009 at 06:52 PM. Reason: red light problem
Old 03-31-2009, 02:13 AM
Registered

In the ocean (swells) the flappers help with water not going up the pipes!
Old 04-01-2009, 07:28 PM
Registered

I won't ever have this on the Ocean but the water at the Ozarks is probably about as bad so I think I will leave it as is for a while.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:00 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Your sea strainers should have clear lids. No routine maintenance required other than to check if there's any crap in them. A blade or two fo grass will eventually be ground up; no harm. but a good-sized chunk of plastic might restrict the water flow. Next time you're in the water, but before you start the engines and get them hot, practice opening them up and putting them back. You'll be glad that you did if you ever have to do it for real and the engines are roasting hot. They're down deep....

Quick Reply: Mufflers on a 382

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.