Notices
Formula

Water under the cabin step in my 311

Old 04-27-2009, 07:05 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Water under the cabin step in my 311

I know this has been talked about a couple of times but I can not find the threads. I have water under the step that leads down into the cabin. First is there a drain that gets clogged up, and second what is the most likely location that the water is coming from?

Jon
Old 04-27-2009, 07:50 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofn
I know this has been talked about a couple of times but I can not find the threads. I have water under the step that leads down into the cabin. First is there a drain that gets clogged up, and second what is the most likely location that the water is coming from?

Jon
Hey Jon,

It is more then likely coming from your windshield as crazy as it sounds.
I have a '88 311 and mine was leaking as well then I realized my gasket around the windshield was shot. I replaced it and bingo problem solved.
Mop up the water with towels first ..... get it nice and dry in there then put on your cockpit cover and apply a lot of water over the windshield area. If your cover isn't waterproof you should end up having quite a bit of water in there.
I first figured it out when I used my convertible top which attaches to the top of the windshield as opposed to the deck around the windshield. I was caught in a rain storm and all of a sudden I noticed the water pouring into the cockpit from the bottom of the windshield. Hence the area underneath the steps was wet as well.
Once I got it re-sealed ... no more water under the steps and a dry cockpit.
I had never noticed it before because I have a full mooring cover over the boat of which is waterproof and I don't usually make a habit of boating in the rain.

Good Luck !!!!

Jeff
Old 04-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What Jeff said.

I had to wet vac out my stairwell a few times on the 292. Windshield is the problem. Replace seals and your done.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Is there a drain that is clogged holding the water in or do you have to wet vac it out?
Old 04-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Is there a drain that is clogged holding the water in or do you have to wet vac it out?
Nope , you need some good old lying down and "moping" or a wet vac will work.

Jeff
Old 04-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by got twins ?
Nope , you need some good old lying down and "moping" or a wet vac will work.

Jeff
On my 292 there was a drain hole through the bulkhead under the step, but it didn't drain back to the bilge. I used a wet vac, and you'll see more water come through from the drain, keep using the vac until its all out. Once dry, its easier to keep it that way.

As Jeff said earlier, more likely than not coming from the windshield to deck mating surfaces as well as the black plastic trim around the windshiled itself. Once you get this sealed up, the water issue should be gone.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

On these boats it is essential you keep it as dry as possible in there. If you don't, the water will end up in the foam around the fuel tank and eventually slowly rot the stringers.

Nick
Old 04-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Does the windsheild screw in from above (behind the rubber gasket) or from underneith?
Old 04-27-2009, 05:18 PM
Registered

Obviously, lots of folks have had windshield leaks, but that's not the only source. Mine came from my detail guy not realizing the cabin door doesn't seal watertight. So if it sits outdoors and the cover isn't totally waterproof it could just as well get in that way.

Also, THERE IS A DRAIN under the step and most likely there's a plug in it. If it's full of water you have to reach in and find it. It was "designed" to drain back into the bilge, which also means the bilge could move water forward if there isn't a plug. Over time, there's no telling what could plug up or grow in there reducing the ability of water to drain back. Not a bad idea to try and snake it if you're up to it.

WetVac is best way if water won't drain at all. Since the drain opening isn't exactly on the bottom, you'll need it anyways, or a bunch of towels. I wish I could attach pics easily since I have a couple good ones of the area. Let me know if I can email to you. handfulz28 at gmail dot com

So now you've got two, running boats. Do I dare ask what will become of the 302?
Old 04-28-2009, 06:40 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's no plug in my 311.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.