how to remove exhaust box

Notices
Formula

how to remove exhaust box

Old 07-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default how to remove exhaust box

My 271 leaks badly between the hull/transom and the exhaust box under the swin platform.

I have ordered new seals for the thru hull from Formula and need to know what kind of job it it is to fix this stuff.
There are several thru hull and thru swim platform bolts that attach the box to the hull which will be easy to undo but it looks like there is a lip on the aft side of the box that slips into a recess under the swim platform that does not look like it is
simple to slip out of it's location.
How do I remove the box and how heavy is it.

Other than that, only had it out 4 times this year, weather sucks big time, but works perfect
Old 07-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

I lost the two bolts holding the box on under the swim platform on my last 312 while I was at Lake of the Ozarks, a couple of years ago, so I don't know how hard it is to get out of that lip. As far as how heavy, not very I'd say maybe 30 pounds. You may not want to put it back on after you hear how it sounds off though. Mine is hanging on the wall behind my 382 and says Formula parking in vinyl lettering.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:06 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not hard to do nor is it heavy. Go for it, you'll figure it out as you go. You may find some delamination of the baffles inside. My buddy's 271 was rattling so we took it off and found the baffles delaminated. Glassed them back in and tossed it back on with new seals. Still rattles a bit though, they all do. That's the main reason everyone chucks them and replaces with tips.

Formula's Fastech generation Silent Thunder is pretty whimpy. I'm surprised they didn't make it more heavy-duty than that.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I pulled mine off a couple of times the first couple of years I owned my 357. I tried to reglass the weak spots, install new gaskets etc etc. No matter what, it still leaked and rattled. I finally junked it and replaced it with an aluminum platform and stainless pipes- it was the best money I ever spent. The boat looks and sounds 100% better.