headliner issue's

Notices
Formula

headliner issue's

Old 08-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default headliner issue's

My 382 SR1's headliner is falling down. Has anyone else had this issue and how did you fix it. Formula dealer qouted me over 7k to fix it. It is a 3 section cieling and the starboard side has about a 2 foot circle coming loose. Much like cars do. Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks

Mike
Old 08-07-2009, 03:23 PM
rjr
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They all do it! It's a known problem and there are other posts on the forum about it.

I have not fixed mine yet but I cannot imagine 7K to do it. The problem is that the foam between the fabric and the backing disintegrates. It seems that New England winters are a large part of the problem. I am afraid that new fabric will not match everything else so I am going to try to remove the fabric and scrape off the foam. Then I will glue new foam to the backing, then the cloth. I have my doubts this will work because the fabric will probably stretch so the cutouts for the lights will be in the wrong place, but I am going to give it a try. Probably a winter project.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you were in texas I would recommend the folks that just did my 382 Guys name is Terry they did the walls and headliner.

www.the--shop.com
Old 08-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We replaced ours for $500.00 .the hardest part was getting it out . Also the side walls were coming down and they are a pain in the azz to get the black stuff off the walls.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by formula 382
My 382 SR1's headliner is falling down. Has anyone else had this issue and how did you fix it. Formula dealer quoted me over 7k to fix it. It is a 3 section cieling and the starboard side has about a 2 foot circle coming loose. Much like cars do. Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks

Mike
Hey Mikey, Talked with Steve in the shop today and he is going to look into the labor to pull and re-install the panels for you. Will call you with those numbers, Capt. Steve L..............
Old 08-10-2009, 08:11 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2000 382 has a spot about a foot in diameter on one side that has separated. It's been the same for about a year, so we've been waiting to see if it starts to spread. Once it does, we'll be in for the re-fit. It's my understanding that you start by taking out the ceiling lights; the screws that hold up the center section are behind those. Once the center section is out, you can get to the fasteners for the sides. Correct?
Old 08-10-2009, 08:57 AM
Registered

Default Headliner problem

Steve,

Thanks for your help. This is a sore subject for many I've talked too. I know in being in the automobile business that sometimes things are out of the dealers control. I saw someone giving you a hard time on here and felt for you. You've always been there for me when I have issues. I appreciate you talking to your interior mechanic in order to help me out. Formula still makes a great boat. I think if Formula would at least talk to these people they would feel better. Sometimes a sympathetic ear helps out a situation. Thanks for your help in this matter.

Mike
Old 08-10-2009, 09:01 AM
Registered

Default Headliner

Just got a phone call from a Formula owner. He said that it took him 3 hours to remove the headliners and about 4 hours to replace them. The extra time installing was being careful and the tolerances were tight. Steve, does this sound about right. I figure your guy will probably be faster due to experience.

Mike
Formula 382