Notices
Formula

383 stroker scorpion bravo 1

Old 09-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rhsj2006
Turboz67, I'm impressed you're getting $7000 per engine for your used 6.2s.

Before the downturn I was going to spend about $15k to add Whipple superchargers. Estimated HP would have been 450+, but the long term relaibility of the S/C 6.2s would have been a concern for me. Your choice to swap in new motors with a touggher bottom end seems a good choice for longevity.

Please let everyone know how this works out for you.
i thought about whipples also , but the bottom of the 6.2's are not built for it. so i decided to go with factory built motor from mercury
Old 09-01-2009, 04:43 PM
Registered

Turbo, sounds like you're keeping this boat for a while...Why not go with the Raylar 550HP LS based small-blocks?

I gotta believe you'd be seeing 95 MPH if you put 1100 HP of Raylar in a 292, especially considering you'll be lighter by at least 600 lbs. vs. iron Mercs, maybe more.

http://www.raylarengine.com/550_engine.html

of course you'll be at the outer limits of the Bravo1 but oh the fun you'd have

All that said tho, I'm not seriously suggesting this unless you've got $$ to risk...I haven't heard of anyone on OSO or other forums that have installed the 550s in a twin configuration. Maybe Ray will pipe in with some news about customer installs, seemed like a hot topic last year when launched but quiet since then.

Last edited by rhsj2006; 09-01-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bronco
My boat came with stock 30's and my current props I believe are merc "standard lab 30's". This winter I may have Bblades try to lab and "tweak" my stock 30 B1s to get a few more rpms... By the way my motors/ exhaust are stock other than the props (silent thunder box still on the boat).
Are you saying that you have a set of standard 30" Bravo One props and currently run a set of Merc labbed 30" props ?

In case you do what is the difference between them from a performance and mid range point of view ?

Is the mid range satisfactory with the Merc labbed 30" props ?
Old 09-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

i would love to get the 353 magic float has for sale, if i didi not have the 292 i would do it. I still have a 92 223ls that i am still trying to sell. i just can't understand why formula does not offer the 292 with more power, they always play it safe.

the 383's should do the job, i hope
Old 09-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by turboz67
i just don't know if it is worth it or not. the hydro steering by hardin marine is going to cosy me about 5k installed plus the additional 16k for the engines out of pocket. i wuold like to get the 353 with 525's but i know it is going to be hard as hell to get rid of this boat. the other thing is my payment right now is only 486.00 a month . the formula dealer will kill me on a trade in if i go to a 353 loaded. so i guess i just answered my own question
I do think it is worth to get the 383 Scorpions and the hydraulic steering.

First of all you are getting a very good price for the old engines.

Second of all the upgrades makes your boat more fun and you can enjoy it in the years to come.

Third of all if you want to sell it at some point in the future then you have a 292 with hydraulic steering, K planes and powerful reliable engines which is an attractive combination for buyers. You will not get all of the the additional money back that you are putting into to it now when selling, but at least your boat will be very interesting to buyers so I think it is more likely that you can sell yours compared to the many "standard" 292 Fastechs out there.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Phazar454Mag
Are you saying that you have a set of standard 30" Bravo One props and currently run a set of Merc labbed 30" props ?

In case you do what is the difference between them from a performance and mid range point of view ?

Is the mid range satisfactory with the Merc labbed 30" props ?
Exactly Phazar, my boat came with 30" B1 non labbed and I bought a second set of labbed 30" B1's that I believe are what merc calls a "standard lab finish" from the markings on the hub. Apparently merc offers variations of lab finishing depending on the performance desired. The labbed props only added 1 to 2 mph on the top end but mid range is where I noticed the most improvement. From 3000 to 4500 rpm the boat just seems to accelerate quicker and smoother- more responsive on and off the throttles. I may have gained a bit more slip out of the hole but thats where the extended tabs really help a lot. I think the labbed props are well worth the money.

Turbo, I feel your pain. I love my 292 and even though I "downsized" to the 292 it seems I always want a bigger boat. I miss the A/C and larger cabin (although I rarely used it). I dont miss the fact that a 35 or 38 is a 2 person job most of the time. I boat by myself around 1/2 of the time and have no problems trailering (launching/ loading) the 292. Plus as you noted the great deal on the bigger boat is likely to be negated by the low price you are likely to get for your boat in todays economy. Although toys get old, lets not forget that the 292 is still a damn nice boat no matter where your come from. I have chosen to make mine special (to me) with small updates and improvments and enjoy it for the next few years.

Only you can decide if it is worth it and everyone's situation is different. Like some of the others have said, it sounds like you have a good buyer for your old motors.

Cheers and safe boating.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bronco
The labbed props only added 1 to 2 mph on the top end but mid range is where I noticed the most improvement. From 3000 to 4500 rpm the boat just seems to accelerate quicker and smoother- more responsive on and off the throttles.
I was thinking in terms of mid range efficiency (ie prop slip) between the props resulting in a difference in cruising fuel economy.

Let us say your are cruising at 3000 RPM (or some other mid range RPM) with the std versus labbed props then what is the difference in speed between the props if any ?
Old 09-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

thank you for the help. i am going forward with the 383 with the steering. the props i have now are the 28lab finshed props. do you think these will do the trick
Old 09-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

thank you for the help. i am going forward with the 383 with the steering. the props i have now are the 28lab finshed props. do you think these will do the trick
If you can spin them at 5800 rpm, you bet! It's a good place to start.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Registered

It depends on the powercurve. The question is how much power the 383 stroker Scorpion develops around 5000 RPM ?

If it is powerful enough in the mid to upper RPM range then you might be OK with the 28" props.

Otherwise you might have to use 26" props to get the full benefit of the 383 stroker Scorpion, with strong acceleration and screaming 6000 RPM engines at WOT. I bet they will sound great at 6000 RPM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.