Notices
Formula

272 re-power

Old 10-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by charlie boy
hi steve,

maybe of some help, i do have experiance with buying engines form the America, but not good! i did buy a a pair of 7.4 mpi that had been rebuilt and had some aftermarket bits done to them ,according to advert and had long coverstion with the bloke a few times plus he had an engine shop too, but the bloke disappeared, to cut along story short his name was dave form chop shop customs in florida in plataka!?, and no trace of him.the second set were brought though ebay.com, but were not as describe to say the least hence the big rebuilds on them! i do have however a one 7.4 mpi gen6, but that does need rebuild, brought with overheating issues but still ran but may be of use to you!? i would say for costs getting a nice set of 502 or even 454 mpis would be the way to go, but do make sure the seller is geniune from my experiance.
Yeah that's my concern really, trying to find someone reputable to deal with who isn't going to rip you off, hence the reason why i am asking around on this forum to get some info.

I see these guys advertised on offshoreonly website...

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Mercruiser_Engines.htm

They have some nice packages but website looks a bit basic...any thoughts?
Old 10-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Registered

Bam marine are a good company, also if you are looking for parts rather engines CP Performance and Hardin Marine are brilliant, also a company called real steel based near heathrow in the uk are very good too,
regards
Charlie
Old 10-01-2009, 11:24 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I will try and get you the name of the place that my buddy got his from for his Sutphen. I beleive they are 435hp.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:55 AM
Registered

Yeah thanks Audiofn that be useful.

Cheers Charlie for your help, if you can afford the fuel you should try pop down to Guernsey one day, we have some awesome offshore waters and short trips to other islands you can visit....and i mean short, when you have an american powerboat you tend to get places quickly
Old 10-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Registered

sounds likw a great plan! probably next year now as need to run the engines in for a bit and the days are getting shorter and colder, but we have talked about it lol, there are few american power boats, we get together most weekends in the summer, 2 baja 272, one 36 outlaw, donzi 26 with raylar power, a blader runner, plus an apache 41, plus 2 extremes and mine! so will keep in contact, also if you have would likie to come this way let us know,
regards
Charlie
Old 10-03-2009, 08:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by charlie boy
sounds likw a great plan! probably next year now as need to run the engines in for a bit and the days are getting shorter and colder, but we have talked about it lol, there are few american power boats, we get together most weekends in the summer, 2 baja 272, one 36 outlaw, donzi 26 with raylar power, a blader runner, plus an apache 41, plus 2 extremes and mine! so will keep in contact, also if you have would likie to come this way let us know,
regards
Charlie
Yeah for sure will do. I'll be pulling mine out the water soon for the winter too.

We also have a number of american boats, four Forumla 272-SR1, one 271, two 206, 1 Baja 23 and a Cigarette Bullet 31. We dont really meet much, everybody tends to do their own thing but i should try pulling these boats together. There were two poker runs organised this year but i was away for one and the weather wasn't great for the other.

Keep in touch

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-05-2009, 07:04 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It was Pace Chevrolet that he got his motors from.

Jon