400SS...Gas or Diesel?

Notices
Formula

400SS...Gas or Diesel?

Old 01-20-2010, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Back4More
After talking with a rep from Formula at the Chicago BoatShow, He was adamant on going with Volvo Penta Diesels for range, low mant, reliability, and service life...claiming only a 45mph top end though.
My understanding is 496HO's at 55mph and 500EFI's at a hair under 60mph....525's at 60mph.
Does this sound about real world?
Any and all thoughts welcome due to my inexperience on 400's and Diesels.
I'm getting closer on making a choice.
something else to think about, as stated I have several friends with the same boat, for the most part the boats are the same except for the finishes, my buddies 03 is identical to mine except engines/drives and the color of his sofa in the cabin...
So why pay more for the same product?

The Diesels do get better gas milage but for the 100K difference on a new one that alot of fuel vs gas to pay for to make up the difference!!!!

Just my .02

Good Luck in your search, thanks Pat
Old 01-20-2010, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting the info and pics....Have a great Vaca!

PS...That one with the 3 of them is now my desktop.

Last edited by Back4More; 01-20-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Registered

Thanks for posting the info and pics....Have a great Vaca!

PS...That one with the 3 of them is now my desktop.
Looking forward to it and Thank you...

I have a few more shots of the three of us if not all fouf of us at different places rafted up, I will post them for you when I get home I believe they are on lap top at home...
Old 01-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Jassman
I think they are awesome... I wish Formula would offer the large 480hp Cummins Diesel/NXT package or 480 Yanmar with the ASD-8's.

Like Rob stated Spicy's 40ss is a good deal, looks great by the pics, and is updated.

Here you go

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...POWER-92784080
Hasn't someone on this site already told you that you know nothing about Formula.

Seriously (because my last comment was not), after moving from go fast to the Formula SS series, I would go with diesels. As Selpel said it well, it depends on what you are buying the boat for. I found coming out of go fast that I over estimated the need for speed in the switch. Not to offend any Formula fans here, but going 55-60 MPH in an SS series boat is a snoozer. There is nothing about it that will get your adrenaline going. That line is not made for that, but they cruise at 30 or 35 in exceptional comfort extremely well. And my wife absolutely loves it.

That's what my personal experience was from the switch. I'm sure others feel differently.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Registered

Whats a good deal on a fully loaded low hour 04 with 500's? Same on a 05 with 525's
They both have my interest.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

We have an 07 hardtop diesel powered 400ss. Thought the same thing about the boats you do, going from a Slingshot. Would not have the boat without them while cruising around LOTO. They do not smell, are extremely quite and get great MPG. They seem to have a better resale too. Just my 2 cents....
Old 01-22-2010, 02:11 AM
Registered

There is no question, if you have the money to go with the diesels, they are well worth it, fuel efficiency maintainence and safety. The true value is the longevity of the diesel engines. The diesel engine can handle being pushed harder to stay at your higher crusing and top speeds, as you move to larger heavier vessels, and away from lighter go fasts, you will find the preferred choice among those owners is diesel power.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
As Selpel said it well, it depends on what you are buying the boat for. I found coming out of go fast that I over estimated the need for speed in the switch. Not to offend any Formula fans here, but going 55-60 MPH in an SS series boat is a snoozer. There is nothing about it that will get your adrenaline going. That line is not made for that, but they cruise at 30 or 35 in exceptional comfort extremely well. And my wife absolutely loves it.

That's what my personal experience was from the switch. I'm sure others feel differently.
BINGO.....

Thats where I'm at... the boat is great just boring as hell in the performance department, it rides nice and is very comfortable...

I need to go faster!!!!

Pat
Old 01-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Registered

Good, cause im ready for a boring comfortable ride with a happy wife and kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SEoZS-qIJw

Last edited by Back4More; 01-22-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

Whats a good deal on a fully loaded low hour 04 with 500's? Same on a 05 with 525's
They both have my interest.
I was trying to get 250k for my 06 with 525's and only had two people interested but neither one of them could get the financing so if you have money i would think that you should be able to get them for under 200k

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.