292 trim tab upgrade

Notices
Formula

292 trim tab upgrade

Old 02-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NautibyNature
How did you do this? Any pics? Switching the whole system over is more of a job than I want to tackle. Chances are this is a boat I will not keep much longer... I think off in the distance I hear a 353 calling my name.
I would like to know how this was done as well.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:59 PM
Registered

I'm Surprised that Formula didn't put the K-planes on more 292's. Reminds me of the old 272's. Most 272 small blocks had Bennetts, but most 272 big blocks had K-planes. The K-planes are more $'s, but so, so much nicer & robust. I've hardly ever seen a 292 on the market with K-planes. It's seems like that would be an exceptionally nice upgrade on the 292, especially if you plan on running it in any real water.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Registered

4fulfastech.....Love your boat, and thanks for the info. I'm shopping for a 292 myself, and have a few more questions. I agree 280's are a must have for tabs. I'm also curious about the 377s. I've researched CMI exhaust systems, and they claim 10% HP improvement. I'm still not sold. But you mentioned roller rockers and ecm changes. What might these improvements net in HP & torque gain?
Old 02-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket ride
4fulfastech.....Love your boat, and thanks for the info. I'm shopping for a 292 myself, and have a few more questions. I agree 280's are a must have for tabs. I'm also curious about the 377s. I've researched CMI exhaust systems, and they claim 10% HP improvement. I'm still not sold. But you mentioned roller rockers and ecm changes. What might these improvements net in HP & torque gain?
Thanks. Those things I mentioned were plans back when I was talking with the guys at Competition Marine Center. They installed my K-Planes. Since that time priorities have changed a bit and the engines are still bone stock. Some of the 292 owners on here have upgraded their exhaust. I mostly hear about improvements in planing time and acceleration, but very slight gains in top speed. So 10% increase with CMI's on a stock engine is not very likely.

One of the things CMC mentioned was while the exhaust on these 377's is not very good, it works okay with a stock engine since the cam is basically done at 5000-5200 rpm. He talked about ideas of increasing the rocker arm ratio to increase valve lift a little which helps bump up the higher rpm torque. That and little tweaking of the ECM to raise the rev limiter and exhaust upgrade you may see a little top end improvement. But for anything significant a cam change and head improvements are in order, along with intake and fuel injection upgrades, etc... It's at that point I start thinking of just starting from scratch, or new purpose built engines.

My 292 runs 70 mph in most any conditions I run in which is okay for me now. It is a dream to drive with the Latham steering and K-Planes. Some day when those 6.2's start getting tired I plan to start from scratch!
Old 02-25-2010, 11:41 AM
Registered

Thanks 4mulafastech....I've heard the same, the 377s are a durable, turn key motor. But to get anything more from them will take $$$$, might as well start from scratch. I agree, you'd have to spend a lot to go over 80 without big blocks.............dave