Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
Looking for some advise from fellow formula 271 owners (space issues) >

Looking for some advise from fellow formula 271 owners (space issues)

Notices
Formula

Looking for some advise from fellow formula 271 owners (space issues)

Old 03-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some advise from fellow formula 271 owners (space issues)

I just bought a 1993 formula 271 over the winter and am just starting to do some cleaning on it. What i noticed is there is literally no storage room on this boat. I plan to design a space under the hatch for my fenders to go, but i still have no idea where to put life jackets, anchor, and other misc gear. My last boat was an old school baja 1985 28ft baja that had so much storage space that i didnt know what to do with myself. I may decide to remove the pump out porta poty and make that an anchor locker since i never use the bathroom in any of my boats. But i kinda wanted to keep everything as stock as i can. Any suggestions for space saving ideas? I dont want to have to open my hatch everytime i want to get stuff (even though it is an electric hatch.) I just want to have everything available. Also im looking to transfer my subwoofers (2-12" subs) into this boat but i dont know if i have enough heighth to mount them inside the bench seat (have any of you guys put 12" subwoofers in your boats?). I know these newer boats are faster and lighter and it is a trade off when it comes to space. Just looking for some ideas. Thanks

Please keep in mind that if i do mount the subs inside the bench seat the space will pretty much be unsuable except for a few life jackets.

Thanks again guys
Old 03-09-2010, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, cant help you with the subs, porta potti~~~GONE~~ put my vests there, throwable goes under the step, fenders under rear seat, lines on the side and anchor tucked neatly on the other side, REAL pain in the AZZ, I don't know where else to put it, I have thought of buying a tote and puting it in the engine compartment for the anchors and some tools but hate the idea of drilling holes into the floor of engine compartment to secure it, the 271 is a great boat, but has its challenges, I wish they would have made under the couches a storage compartment
Old 03-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I used some netting to make 2 large storage bags in the engine bay for vests and fenders. one each side
Kinda tied them up to stuff to hold them up and give them shape
i'll find some pics
Old 03-09-2010, 11:58 PM
Registered

Thanks for the tips guys. Cant believe you fit an anchor in that side compartment, ill have to see if mine fits. Yeah i wonder why they didnt make storage compartments underneath the couches in the cabin, maybe having it inclosed makes the boat more solid?? hopefully ill be able to find places to keep all my stuff and get to easily and i plan on building something in the engine compartment to hold a few things.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

some pics of storage nets

Old 03-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Registered

cool, thanks for the pic. I think i might have to do something similar to that even though i dont want to really clutter up my engine compartment, but at this point i think thats the only way to go
Old 03-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ya thats neet, but I dont want to open the engine hatch every time I need fenders, some how I want to put the anchor and some of the water toys in there, wish the 271 had the bins like the 242