'87 242 Restoration >

'87 242 Restoration

Notices
Formula

'87 242 Restoration

Old 05-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is looking really good. That is going to be one nice Bird when your done. Keep the pics coming Please. I have a couple more things to re-upolster on my 89 before I start working on the sound system. Good luck
Old 05-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by UP NORTH
That is looking really good. That is going to be one nice Bird when your done. Keep the pics coming Please. I have a couple more things to re-upolster on my 89 before I start working on the sound system. Good luck
Thanks-
I've got a wicked stereo I'm installing as well... I've got a pair of Boston Acoustics G5 10" subs that are going under the bolster seats in custom enclosures. Up front I'm going with Boston Pro 6.0's components and in the back either Pro 5.0's or 4.0's it depends were I put them. For power I'm using all old school Orion amps. (I hate new school class d amps) For the subs I'm using an Orions SX 2150 which will put out around 850-900 watts at 1.5 ohms stereo. For the Mids an Orion SX 275 and an SX 250 for the tweets. It should rock!

Last edited by endeavour32; 05-13-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Registered

That sounds like it'l rock all right. What do yo think about maybe redoing the back seat with a 10" sub on either side of a cooler. You could just slide the cooler in and out from under the seat without lifting the top. This is something I have been thinking about this winter. I also thought about installing a bolster seat for the driver and make a spot for a cooler under the taller legs of the bolster seat. There is not much room anywere else. My kids like to play in the cabin the entire time we are out on the lake. So I want to keep that as open as posible.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by UP NORTH
That sounds like it'l rock all right. What do yo think about maybe redoing the back seat with a 10" sub on either side of a cooler. You could just slide the cooler in and out from under the seat without lifting the top. This is something I have been thinking about this winter. I also thought about installing a bolster seat for the driver and make a spot for a cooler under the taller legs of the bolster seat. There is not much room anywere else. My kids like to play in the cabin the entire time we are out on the lake. So I want to keep that as open as posible.
I think I can store a cooler on the left side lower storage compartment in the cabin. I've seen some old literature from formula and looked like it was an option to buy a cooler for there.

If you install a bloster your going to sit WAY higher than the passenger. I would do both or none. I think you could put the subs in the back like your thinking. I think I would mount them in the middle section. If you have two subs close together you will get a 3 db increase in sound, which is equal to doubling the power. With a 10" sub you only need 1/2 a cubic foot per sub. Thats a pretty small enclosure. If you haven't bought the subs yet get the boston g3. You can pick them up on ebay for $125 shipped. Thats a hell of a sub for that price. Either way I understand the lack of storage on our boats. The other option would be to mount a pair of 8's in the side storage area.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Registered

For some reason I have a fear of putting a sub in the sides. I have a fear that the pounding of the sub will weeken the twenty year old fiberglas and resin. I know what constant pounding from subs can do to things. I have never looked into Bostaon's. I had been planning on JL Audio. I will look into your recomendation about the Boston 3G. Is it a Marine quality sub?
Old 05-09-2010, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Those are great looking bolsters,are they from and other Formula I am sure they were not cheap.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by masi242
Those are great looking bolsters,are they from and other Formula I am sure they were not cheap.
They were out of a '99 312. I got a good deal on the bolsters but I had to have some customizing done on the brackets and some new skins made by McLeod. All in all it was a great upgrade and worth the effort to get them to fit.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am restoring an 88 242LS and am looking for the original VDO gauge bezels which are clear plastic. Did you happen to keep yours (2 sizes, large and small)???
Old 05-13-2010, 09:53 AM
Registered

Looks like a great upgrade! I really like the white out theme. What did you use for the engine hatch? I am hoping to have mine ready by the end of the month.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jmrapp
Looks like a great upgrade! I really like the white out theme. What did you use for the engine hatch? I am hoping to have mine ready by the end of the month.
I don't know what the previous owner used. I know its heavy though. Under is the factory fiberglass hatch cover. I'm going to remove what is screwed on now and replace with 3/8 ply with 2" foam on top and 3" foam for the top of the seat back then cover it in white vinyl. All of my vinyl came from McLeod. Their prices are great if you need any.

As far as the gauges go I sold them on e-bay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.