Notices
Formula

A/C ???s

Old 08-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C ???s

Have a gentleman that may be interested in my boat; a question he asked was whether air conditioning could be added, to which I did not have the answer.

I don't believe it is possible, but does anyone know for sure? Boat is a 1992 303 SR1.

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BowenCT
Have a gentleman that may be interested in my boat; a question he asked was whether air conditioning could be added, to which I did not have the answer.

I don't believe it is possible, but does anyone know for sure? Boat is a 1992 303 SR1.

Thanks.
Anything can be done with a big enough check book. I considered adding it to my 311, couldnt justify it when resale time comes.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:43 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm not real familiar with that interior but I added A/C to my 312 a few years ago (and sold the boat 6 months later). I removed the pumpout head and used a portable one that sat on the floor in front of the A/C return vent. Plumbed the lines to the engine compartment thru-hull for water pick-up and discharged the cooling water out the side. The cabinet I built had a vent blowing air to the back AND the front with the controls on the front side so you could reach them without even getting out of bed.
Attached Thumbnails A/C ???s-ac-cabinet-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by t500hps; 08-18-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Registered

Look up cruisair.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by t500hps
I'm not real familiar with that interior but I added A/C to my 312 a few years ago (and sold the boat 6 months later). I removed the pumpout head and used a portable one that sat on the floor in front of the A/C return vent. Plumbed the lines to the engine compartment thru-hull for water pick-up and discharged the cooling water out the side. The cabinet I built had a vent blowing air to the back AND the front with the controls on the front side so you could reach them without even getting out of bed.
That is a cool set-up! (I'm the guy looking at Matt's boat, thanks for looking into it for me! )

What unit did you use?
Old 08-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure about teh 303 layout .. but I saw a setup where they removed the fridge and put the AC there ....m
Old 07-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by t500hps
I'm looking at doing the same thing with a portable a/c. does yours use lake water to cool? or a compressor and refrigerant? where do the hot exhaust air go? thx.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:37 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by FREAKY FAST
I'm looking at doing the same thing with a portable a/c. does yours use lake water to cool? or a compressor and refrigerant? where do the hot exhaust air go? thx.
It was a permanent install Cruiseair 5,000 BTU heat/air unit. It is water cooled. I used a thru-hull under the engines, mounted the pump there and discharged the water out the side of the hull. I gained access to the side of the hull under the starboard bench seat.

For a portable AC, buy a $100 window unit at Home Depot. In front of the cabin door set a towel and 2 2x4's. Place the AC unit on that lined up and facing in the door. Buy some cheap 4-5 inch thick foam and cut to fit the rest of the doorway. If weather is an issue you can put the cockpit cover on 1/2 way but you must leave an opening for the hot air to escape.

We did this for a couple years, even climbed in/out through the deck hatch instead of over the AC unit (which is possible too)

Last edited by t500hps; 07-13-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:48 AM
Registered

we go in the cabin quite often to make drinks so access there would be important. i am thinking of a portable unit from Home Depot and using an inverter and placing the self contained unit exactly where yours is up on the side of the bed. guess i would have to create an exhaust vent somewhere?
Old 07-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FREAKY FAST
we go in the cabin quite often to make drinks so access there would be important. i am thinking of a portable unit from Home Depot and using an inverter and placing the self contained unit exactly where yours is up on the side of the bed. guess i would have to create an exhaust vent somewhere?
I actually ended up grabbing a window unit and making a shroud that forces the air down through a deck hatch. That way the cabin door is still useable.

As a side note, some of those portable units don't cool worth a damn, and you need to have an easy place to vent the hot air.

Be carefull with an inverter, with a typicall AC unit on a hot day you will kill even the biggest batteries in under an hour.

I was going to do an install like T500's did, but the window unit works so well for $99 i decided against it. My next boat will have AC built in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.