Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
Merc ITS drives have play up and down, what is that?? >

Merc ITS drives have play up and down, what is that??

Notices
Formula

Merc ITS drives have play up and down, what is that??

Old 12-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Merc ITS drives have play up and down, what is that??

Anyone have ITS that have any play up and down?

This boat is an 06 382, ITS and 525's.
When these drives are all the way down there is some slop up and down that I am not comfortable with but I don't know if the ITS uses anything different from a typical Bravo mounting system or not.
Do these ITS have "celery sticks" just like my Bravo? If so, could it just be the sticks cracked giving some play?

How about the steering wheel loose? Could the tilt wheel mechanism get sloppy from a driver that leans back and forth on the steering wheel or would a loose steering wheel be something else?

TIA
Old 12-10-2010, 08:33 AM
Burnin' Love
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gimble rings???
Old 12-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Registered

Doesn't seem to be, the pins have not dropped down and the gimbal seems solid.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Where To
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I looked up the ITS and the only difference in the Drive Shaft Housing, was the top cap. So the answer is yes, it should have the celery sticks. I have Never seen one break, but you never know. Check for a bad trim cylinder bushing and if still no luck, unhook the trim cylinders, support the drive and look for play in the gimble.

Dave
Old 12-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aquaforce
Anyone have ITS that have any play up and down?

This boat is an 06 382, ITS and 525's.
When these drives are all the way down there is some slop up and down that I am not comfortable with but I don't know if the ITS uses anything different from a typical Bravo mounting system or not.
Do these ITS have "celery sticks" just like my Bravo? If so, could it just be the sticks cracked giving some play?

How about the steering wheel loose? Could the tilt wheel mechanism get sloppy from a driver that leans back and forth on the steering wheel or would a loose steering wheel be something else?

TIA
I have 2 of them of separate boats- both are solid with no play.

Uncle Dave
Old 12-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by axapowell
I looked up the ITS and the only difference in the Drive Shaft Housing, was the top cap. So the answer is yes, it should have the celery sticks. I have Never seen one break, but you never know. Check for a bad trim cylinder bushing and if still no luck, unhook the trim cylinders, support the drive and look for play in the gimble.

Dave
Thanks. I'm trying to qualify this looseness in an effort to determine a general idea of cost of repair. When I observed the owner drive the boat getting in and out of the storage place required a lot of stick driving where the drives were shifted back and forth. That hammers them some but I don't think they were abused harshly.

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
I have 2 of them of separate boats- both are solid with no play.
Uncle Dave
Have your props/drives been out of the water running fast? The hour distribution on the smart craft showed that these engines have 8 -10 minutes logged on the rev limiters which would be just that on these drives. They are quiet running which makes me think well about the drive internals but the looseness needs corrected.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I have this same issue on my TRS trim rams. The play is in the ram itself. What could cause this?
Old 09-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

To clarify, the rams shouldn't be able to be moved just by picking up on the rear of the cavitation plate? When doing this the piston rod moves in and out of the trim ram cylinder about an inch.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:46 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aquaforce
Thanks. I'm trying to qualify this looseness in an effort to determine a general idea of cost of repair. When I observed the owner drive the boat getting in and out of the storage place required a lot of stick driving where the drives were shifted back and forth. That hammers them some but I don't think they were abused harshly.

Have your props/drives been out of the water running fast? The hour distribution on the smart craft showed that these engines have 8 -10 minutes logged on the rev limiters which would be just that on these drives. They are quiet running which makes me think well about the drive internals but the looseness needs corrected.
Didnt see this.

Sort of.

Running an Ilmor 710 with an Imco shorty lower unit and a very high prop shaft depth. Sustains 5900 for minutes at a time almost every time out- so yeah its run hard.

Have it checked out - there shouldnt be more than a few 16nths of up down slop.

Uncle Dave