Engine hatch ram

Notices
Formula

Engine hatch ram

Old 05-16-2002, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine hatch ram

Mine took a dump on me last year. It's stuck down and just grinds. Where can I get another one. Also there are two wire going to it. I'm assuming the wires reverse Pos and Neg to change directions via a DPDT switch. Can anyone confirm?

Jeff
Old 05-17-2002, 06:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can fixt it.

Remove it from the boat.

Remove the three screws holding the bottom gearcase cover on.
Take the cover off. There's an idler gear and a small drive gear that may fall out. It's ok, just remember how they came out. If yours is like mine the original grease has dried up.

I know this'll sound crude, but trust me.

Take a pair of channel-locks that open big enough to fit over the large gear. Wrap a rag around the gear and grab it with the channel-locks. Even if you don't use a rag, you can't hurt it. The gear is hardened and the pliers won't make a dent in it. Trust me.

Stick a long screwdriver in the hole at the top of the drive screw and turn it counter-clockwise, I think. Which ever way it turns to go up. You may have to make several attempts before it breaks loose. The loud clicking (grinding) noise you hear is an over-travel clutch.

Once you get it loose reinstall the gears and lube them with grease. I use Valvoline wheelbearing grease. Reinstall the cover.

Now that it's loose, remove the four screws that attach the tube covering the drive screw to the gearcase and take it off. I'll bet it's really dry under there. Turn the drive screw all the way up till it stops. Lube the threads with grease and run the screw up and down several times by hand to distribute the grease. If it still feels stiff, do it again. Once you get it where you like the feel reinstall the tube and the four screws.

Reinstall it in the boat. You should be good to go.

You're right about the wires. The switch reverses polarity to change direction.
When I reinstalled mine I had to solder the wires back together. I couldn't find anything that'll connect a 14ga wire to an 8ga wire.

Last edited by Iggy; 05-17-2002 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-20-2002, 08:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Chavvez,
You get it working????
How'd you make out?
Old 05-20-2002, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iggy,

I haven't really had time to try yet. Don't you need to remove the large nut on the bottom of the shaft where it bolts to the bracket to get the cover off? Mine is rusted up pretty good and I can't get it to break free. I have it soaking in oil.
Old 05-20-2002, 10:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

No. That nut has nothing to do with it.
I assume that nut allows you to rotate the bottom shaft to align with the mounting bracket. The shaft only goes thru the bottom cover and stops. If I remember right there's a bushing in the top of it that the large drive gear shaft goes into.
Just pull the screws out of the cover.
I've had mine apart three times in the past season. My grandson keeps pulling down on the power switch and gets it jammed in the down position.

Last edited by Iggy; 05-20-2002 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-20-2002, 08:08 PM

Talking engine hatch

lift engine hatch and disconnect the pin an unscrew the lift an grease the arm,it should help,got mine to work. i just bought a 242ls 365hp with alpha 1 1.47 outdrive 21 pitch mirage what will i get? what about other props?

Old 05-21-2002, 05:23 PM
JON242

Probably high 50's to maybe 60. A 21P Mirage Plus is probably your best bet.

Old 06-12-2002, 10:25 PM

Default enginehatch

I came across a new replacement for eletric power hatch at cp performance looks just like orginal under $300.

Old 06-13-2002, 08:12 AM
Scott72

masi242,
My uncle had a 242 and was getting 60 on GPS with a 330 HP (running a 21P mirage), but his seemed faster than most (high 50's I think for most). My 223LS was 61-62 on GPS when it had a 330 in it. Are you sure it's a 365 Mag hooked up to a Alpha? I thought the older Mag motors (1987 and older) with alpha's were really 330's?