Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding. >

IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding.

Notices
Formula

IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LAKE EFFECT
They probabally install the thru bolts in the same holes as the assembly screw holes. As far as temperture and shorter cure times, the summer built boats thought is very interesting. Unless Formula comes out and discloses all the info on the subject, its going to be hard to pinpoint the exact cause.
This would make sense. Have the holes in the deck pre drilled, and then ram the screws into the hull. Cure the Plexuse and then switch the screws for the bolts.

The summer/winter should apply to the fiberglass lay up of the boats too. I would have to think that Formula/Plexus have it figured out as to how much time to get it put together.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zone 5
I would have to think that Formula/Plexus have it figured out as to how much time to get it put together.

...........yes, but maybe not for the first 6-7 years.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
...........yes, but maybe not for the first 6-7 years.
Do you have a list of the years that SCOPE has had issues with? I thought you said it was a bunch, but I don't remember ever seeing the years listed.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Pro...scid=23&id=485

Found this by accident,If you don't want to watch the whole thing F/F to 4:50.The hull deck sealant is put on by a robot in a larger amount and much more evenly than the chalking gun in the Formula video.There is to much room for human error the way Formula does it IMO.

This thread is for the most part a conversation among Formula owners.I am sure Formula is aware of this thread.It is my hope that they will provide some technical impute on how to properly inspect our boats.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Expensive Date

Found this by accident,If you don't want to watch the whole thing F/F to 4:50.The hull deck sealant is put on by a robot in a larger amount and much more evenly than the chalking gun in the Formula video.There is to much room for human error the way Formula does it IMO.

This thread is for the most part a conversation among Formula owners.I am sure Formula is aware of this thread.It is my hope that they will provide some technical impute on how to properly inspect our boats.
That is some great automation that Kawi has. less than 2.5 hrs to build it. I know some jet ski mechanics that would kill to be able to pull the deck to work on those.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:23 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 74 Likes on 24 Posts

This is a pretty serious and informative thread. Can we please keep on topic. Thanks guys. Jeff
Old 02-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by BONDO10
This is a pretty serious and informative thread. Can we please keep on topic. Thanks guys. Jeff
nothing personal but i think you guys are grasping at straws here...there have been no reported incidents, no catastrophic failures, and no injuries.

formula produces hundreds if not thousands of boats a year using the same procedure and protocol on all models. to me it would seem as though if there were really a problem, it would be an epidemic of epic proportions. if there is an issue, i fail to see it. sorry.

my summary: the intent of this thread seems to be two fold. On one side, members are trying to figure out if a real bonding issue exists between deck and hull. Seems doubtful. No real proof or examples of such events. Issues seem very isolated.

The second fold which seems to be at the heart of this thread...is people are trying to create personal vendettas against Formula for no reason. They think Formula owes them something. One poster is trying to seek warranty claims years after the event. Formula offered a percentage of the fix but that wasnt good enough. The manufacturer has nothing to hide and has been very open about the steps involved in creating the bond. Not sure what else there is to discuss.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please get the thread back on topic.

Originally Posted by moses0324
nothing personal but i think you guys are grasping at straws here...there have been no reported incidents, no catastrophic failures, and no injuries.

formula produces hundreds if not thousands of boats a year using the same procedure and protocol on all models. to me it would seem as though if there were really a problem, it would be an epidemic of epic proportions. if there is an issue, i fail to see it. sorry.

my summary: the intent of this thread seems to be two fold. On one side, members are trying to figure out if a real bonding issue exists between deck and hull. Seems doubtful. No real proof or examples of such events. Issues seem very isolated.

The second fold which seems to be at the heart of this thread...is people are trying to create personal vendettas against Formula for no reason. They think Formula owes them something. One poster is trying to seek warranty claims years after the event. Formula offered a percentage of the fix but that wasnt good enough. The manufacturer has nothing to hide and has been very open about the steps involved in creating the bond. Not sure what else there is to discuss.

Yep.......you really read this thread closely! LOL
Old 02-17-2011, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
There is to much room for human error the way Formula does it IMO.
I don't think you need a robot to add the Plexus, and I am not sure we know in detail what Formula does.

But you need an operating procedure for how the job of bonding the deck to the hull should be performed, and the production staff needs to be trained and understand the procedure and the constraints.

Low volume boat production does have a lot of manual labor involved, compared to high volume car production, but it is still possible to deliver a high quality product.

Has anybody actually seen the Formula production at the factory, and in particular the procedure for how the deck is attached to the hull ?
Old 02-17-2011, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by moses0324

I am going to have to disagree with you while no one has been killed there have been hull separations discovered while underway.And yes Formula uses the same hull/deck mounting procedure on all of its boats,but five(?) have had issues.Are they the only ones or are there others out there undiscovered.We don't know however I suspect that there are at least quiet a few that while not separated are not sealed properly.This would explain why there are a high number of Formula water in cabin threads.
We,high performance boaters tend to use our boats more and run them harder than the average boater.A higher group would be fishermen but Formula does not make center consoles.But my point is we will see failure first.Were these guys running hard in the ocean,probably but Formula marketed the Fastech to do this and made many videos of there boats running in the ocean at speed.

But the real issue here is The Plexus should be stronger than the fiberglass.Had the fiberglass broke it would be different...it didn't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.