Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding. >

IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding.

Notices
Formula

IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the information...No problem yet, but I'll be on alert.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

wonder how many Fast-tec were made since the started bonding hulls together with plexus, not that many would be my guess 25-50 per year less than 500 boats over a 10 year period of time if that boats havent been selling to good in the last 3yrs maybe only 200-300 boats? And we already know of about 6-7 boats that have had similar issues were already around 2-3% of the boats and thats not even looking for them im sure this must be happening alot. Im sure they know they have a problem and the bean counter are taking a calculated risk. What was the issue or law suit about with the 419 why they quit offering it?

later
Old 01-26-2011, 09:12 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think it's unreasonable that a 10 year old boat that has been pounding waves in the ocean might need a little TLC. Engines are routinely freshened up after 300 hours which according to my math equals about 15,000 miles on a car if that, and no one's complaining. I also fail to see this as a safety issue since I'm certain the deck wouldn't suddenly fly off the hull. Owner's that have removed the fuel tank to repair water damage under the cockpit have had it much worse. I would take the money Formula offered and run.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not seen this on my 292 but will check fully when the shrinkwrap is off.If I understand correctly the first telltale sign was the rubrail started to disconnect?
I would not worry about killing value of anyone's Formula there escape plan already did that.They hold there value worse than any other brand.I would have been better off with the 30 Baja Outlaw I almost bought.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:19 PM
Registered

I am in the auto body business and we repair vehicles with all kinds of adhesives. From glueing quarter panels and bed sides on, to repairing bumpers. You always squeeze just about as much adhesive out as possible. The bond is actually stronger the thinner the bond is. Metal adhesive has microscopic glass beads that keep the glue from compressing to much. That is how thin the bond should be. Jeff Wurl
Old 01-26-2011, 10:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JTeam
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think it's unreasonable that a 10 year old boat that has been pounding waves in the ocean might need a little TLC. Engines are routinely freshened up after 300 hours which according to my math equals about 15,000 miles on a car if that, and no one's complaining. I also fail to see this as a safety issue since I'm certain the deck wouldn't suddenly fly off the hull. Owner's that have removed the fuel tank to repair water damage under the cockpit have had it much worse. I would take the money Formula offered and run.
Yes. I feel you are missing something. The problem started in 2003 when the boat was two years old. I see it as a safety issue since some folks that use these boats as they were intended (and marketed) and use them in the ocean. Waves can and will come at unexpected angles and with them come stress peaks to the deck/hjull joint. When I had my boat repaired, every inch of the connection between the hull and deck was compromised. With your hand, you could move the rub rail up and down anywhere. I feel that what makes the hull strong is the deck. What makes the deck strong is the hull. By themselves, I feel they are weak. Given the right combinations, I see a deck splitting apart and peeling back on a swell and the glass windshield breaking.

I'm not looking for money for the repair even though it would have been nice to have them comit to fixing it no matter what. Read the marketing material.....I see phrases like "inseparable", and "this joint is fail-safe", as well as "never going to leak or break apart".

I was seeing what Formula would actually do.
Attached Thumbnails IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding.-formula-3-1-001.jpg   IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding.-formula-3-2-001.jpg  
Old 01-26-2011, 10:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JTeam
While some things are expected to fail some are not.This is what it looks like when a deck comes off.

Picture in next post
Old 01-26-2011, 10:50 PM
Registered

Name:  powerplaystuff.jpg
Views: 2255
Size:  10.1 KB
Old 01-26-2011, 10:58 PM
Registered

http://www.formulaboats.com/factory_tour.aspx

Click deck and hull bonding

Last edited by Expensive Date; 01-26-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Thank You Nort. Guys, my hull is a 05' I noticed some seperation in 07. In my case it appeared there was not enough Plex installed in the joint. Plex is specific as to the quantity and the squeeze. I think the way Team Archer did the repair it is way stronger than it was from the factory. 5 out of 5 382's had the same issue in SCOPE! Please check yours if you are a owner. Simply push on the hull just below the rubrail, if it flexes independent of the deck you may have a issue. Pull the rubrail and have a look. Thanks, Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.