fuel transfer 400 SS

Notices
Formula

fuel transfer 400 SS

Old 02-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel transfer 400 SS

I am interested in having a fuel transfer mechanism installed on my 2006 400 SS for safety reasons. She has two tanks and I barely made it ashore once when I had to shut down one side. I boat in Lake Superior and Lake Michigan with small children. Anyone know what it would take to make this happen?
Old 02-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Registered

I makeshift system would be to simply get a water pump with 1/2" lines, put a cigarette lighter adapter on the end, so you can plug it in on the dash, then just keep 2 - 15' ends of tube.

In the event of issue, open gas caps, run tubing down into the gas tanks through the gas cap hole. Plug in pump, and turn on.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:10 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mroberts
I makeshift system would be to simply get a water pump with 1/2" lines, put a cigarette lighter adapter on the end, so you can plug it in on the dash, then just keep 2 - 15' ends of tube.

In the event of issue, open gas caps, run tubing down into the gas tanks through the gas cap hole. Plug in pump, and turn on.
Better stay with pumps that are approved for use with combustible fluids....

I'd look at running the fuel pickup lines from each tank into a fuel manifold with an outlet to each engine. Then you can determine which engine pulls from which tank, or even leave it so that they both share from both tanks evenly. No pump required. Be sure to use USCG-approved hose and fittings.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:25 PM
Registered

I had a Wellcraft that must have had antisiphon valves. I would think this boat has them too. Fuel manifold sounds worth looking into. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 1995 34 PC came with a fuel cross-over system. I'm surprised your boat does't have one. Were they optional when the boat was new?
Old 02-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Registered

How about running a T line between both fuel lines and open the valve only when you need to run off one side.
Of course you would need to put this after the shut off valves/lines from each tank so you could close off the low/empty tank...Does that make sense?
Old 02-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Registered

Anyone know how the fuel pumps are configured and the implications of needing to run with one engine while pulling off the tank with the shut off engine, assuming you put in a simple T line and valves?

I have not seen a fuel transfer listed as a standard or optional feature on these boats. There must be a reason for this. Are there cons to having to them?
Old 02-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one thing you have to worry about when plumbing up a transfer or fuel manifold setup is making too much restriction in the various lines, fittings, valves, etc. If you are going to plumb in valves, fittings, or angles then they should be large diameter and free flowing, any restriction will cause a loss of fuel pressure that can be disastrous.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:06 PM
Registered

I would have the work done by a marina and this is good info to help me spec the job with them.

I am suprised they are not standard issue.

In addition to the time I lost power on one side and limped in getting terrible fuel economy, I also could have used this feature in another scenario this past summer. We stopped for gas, they filled one tank, they started filling the other tank, and then the marina was out of gas. So we were stuck there overnight waiting for the fuel delivery truck, though they didn't charge us for the slip!

Would everything remain pressurized with one side shut down and a T line plumbed in to pull from the opposite side?
Old 02-14-2011, 07:34 AM
Registered

How about one of these? They work great with full flow. We use one in our race boat.
http://teaguecustommarine.com//store...&cPath=180_127

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.