Need advise!!

Notices
Formula

Need advise!!

Old 03-13-2011, 11:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need advise!!

I have a 94' 271 Sr1 with the 502mpi 415hp/B1 1:50 that is in the works of new power. I have a 598 NA 800hp/798 ft lb tq that is getting ready to go in.

-What kind of speed should I expect out of the boat?
-Do shorties make a difference on these boats?
-I know I need hydro steering, but dual or single ram?
-Do you think the B1 drive is going to last any amount of time?
-Will the stock engine mounts handle this kind of power or should I use a offshore mount?
-Should I add bigger tabs to help easy pressure on the drive?

Any thing else I should know about!!lol
The boat will run 64-65 on gps now, I am hoping to be in the 80's.

All advice is welcome as I am in Afghanistan and I dont get much time at home. With that said, I want all the right parts sitting in my shop waiting on me to be installed to make this setup work.

Thanks,
Brad

Last edited by 598 Formula; 03-14-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:54 AM
Registered

Brad: My 2 cents on a few of the items. I think you should look at shorties, had a 357 and raised the x dimension with good results. Also, look into a stand-off box. dual rams are a must, I understand a single ram will just twist the drive. offshore mounts are a must. increased speeds & torque will result in more forces on the stock motor mounts. You should definitely run in the 80's. finally, you will probably toast a lot of bravo drives What about a arneson surface drive? There is a 382 in cali that runs over 100 with surface drives!!!! Good luck with the project, post some pics as you proceed.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Intake ?

Originally Posted by 598 Formula
I have a 94' 271 Sr1 with the 502mpi 415hp/B1 1:50 that is in the works of new power. I have a 598 NA 800hp/798 ft lb tq that is getting ready to go in.

-Will the stock engine mounts handle this kind of power or should I use a offshore mount?

Any thing else I should like about!!lol

All advice is welcome as I am in Afghanistan and I dont get much time at home. With that said, I want all the right parts sitting in my shop waiting on me to be installed to make this setup work.

Thanks,
Brad
Is It Stock ? Did That To Mine And It Just Did Not Get Enough Air Went To A 525 intake on a 540ci and a 1" imco upper & lower and a Lab 30p and now run mid 80s with just hydo assist but also a blue printed bottom it now runns on a Rail no issues at all . 647hp 680tq @ 5200 ,83gps with 4 people with full fuel . Good Luck with your Build Up!
Old 03-14-2011, 06:32 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=tony manzella;3349695]Is It Stock ? Did That To Mine And It Just Did Not Get Enough Air Went To A 525 intake on a 540ci and a 1" imco upper & lower and a Lab 30p and now run mid 80s with just hydo assist but also a blue printed bottom it now runns on a Rail no issues at all . 647hp 680tq @ 5200 ,83gps with 4 people with full fuel Also Toss The Tin Foil Bennets I have Dana's . Good Luck with your Build Up!
Old 03-14-2011, 09:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 38fountainecman
Brad: My 2 cents on a few of the items. I think you should look at shorties, had a 357 and raised the x dimension with good results. Also, look into a stand-off box. dual rams are a must, I understand a single ram will just twist the drive. offshore mounts are a must. increased speeds & torque will result in more forces on the stock motor mounts. You should definitely run in the 80's. finally, you will probably toast a lot of bravo drives What about a arneson surface drive? There is a 382 in cali that runs over 100 with surface drives!!!! Good luck with the project, post some pics as you proceed.
Thanks for the input, I really need it at this point!! I have looked at the surface drives, but they are out of my price range. I have the offshore mounts already, just did not know if they were a must, so I will use them.

Keep the advise coming!!
Brad
Old 03-14-2011, 09:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tony manzella
Is It Stock ? Did That To Mine And It Just Did Not Get Enough Air Went To A 525 intake on a 540ci and a 1" imco upper & lower and a Lab 30p and now run mid 80s with just hydo assist but also a blue printed bottom it now runns on a Rail no issues at all . 647hp 680tq @ 5200 ,83gps with 4 people with full fuel . Good Luck with your Build Up!

The boat is stock now(motor is out). The engine did not get enough air in your boat? I hope that does not become a problem with this one as I dont want a scoop cut in. My boat has pretty large air inlets on both sides, so I hope that is not a problem. I am really thinking of selling this 598 and dropping back to a mild 540ci mainly due to drive issues. My biggest concern is finding a drive that can handle this type of power without having to fix it every other weekend!!! Thanks for the input, please advise if you think of anything else.

Brad
Old 03-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Registered

Come on guys!!! All of the knowledge and experience about high power and Formula's on this forum and no replies!!lol I know someone can advise or has a opinion.

Thanks for the input so far, it was helpful. Please keep it coming.

Brad
Old 03-15-2011, 07:41 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It will be REAL had to get a Bravo to last with that kind of power. Even an imco or .... will not last real good with that kidn of power and the weight of your boat. Konrad Ace would do it and also give you a stand off box at the same time. Still not a cheap option but it is rated for 800hp and 800ft pounds of torque.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Registered

Have you heard much about the "new" BMax drives? There are so many people running big power, you would thing more options would be out there.

I could change the cam and de-tune the engine back to around 675-700hp.

I thought the Konrad was a TRS replacement, it will work on a bravo boat?

Brad
Old 03-15-2011, 09:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 598 Formula

Any thing else I should know about!!lol

Thanks,
Brad
I had a 800hp motor in the boat "93 271" Old school Bravo is fine but get it up to 50+ MPH before hammering on it, Mine lasted 3 years. I ran single ram Hyd steering but, That's all the money I had at the time. I went with IMCo with the Duel wing plate so I can upgrade later. Def. in the 80's. I'll be exp. with a shorty this spring, Keep us posted and Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.