Please Advise on this 242 for sale in NY >

Please Advise on this 242 for sale in NY

Notices
Formula

Please Advise on this 242 for sale in NY

Old 05-16-2011, 05:33 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

I think the price is fair on that boat! I'm getting ready to sell mine and I have close to that into just the engine alone. If the boat is in as nice of shape as it looks, its worth it. I just did a complete resto on my 242 and its expensive. You may find a few that are cheaper by a thousand or two but all it takes is for one or two items to break or be bad for that savings to be quickly eaten up.

A few comments of my own on this boat. One, its an LS NOT an LS SR1. SR1 boats have bolsters and twins. Two, that is a 330 hp 454 which is the basic 454, it is not a Magnum. For some reason in '87 Merc called the basic 454 that was mated to the Alpha a Mag. That engine has cast internals and is 330 HP. Either way that would be a nice Formula for him to start out with.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:10 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It has already been said but make sure you get a survey!

The 330 with an alpha was labeled as a mag. motor. So just be aware that it will be a small peanut port head motor and does not have all the good stuff inside.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my opinion, that boat looks worth the money. It's not worth it to squabble over 2-3k. If it's as nice as it looks, I'd buy it at the asking price. But, everything looks good in pictures so go check it out. May be a real cream puff. Question the engine rebuilds, age is no reason. Looks like the bilge was redone too. To me, the weakest link is that cheezy trailer.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 598 Formula
Piece of my life, lesson learned:

I bought a 242ls out of CT 3 years ago. I bought it through a broker while I was in Afghanistan. Let me tell you, the boat was absolutely perfect, brand new built 454, all new emron paint, new interior, new B1 drive, nice trailer, etc. I came home from Afghanistan just to go to CT and pick the boat up. When I got there, I could not believe how nice this boat was. It fired right up, sounded good, checked out good, etc. I said lets go put it in the water, I was told that the rivers were in flood mode and there were to many logs and trash in the river to put in. So, I had the broker give me a 7 day window to get the boat in the water and checked out before the funds were released to the owner.

Now for the good part, I put the boat in the water, fired right up, couldnt ask for more. My wife, daughter, and myself were out cruzin and I kept noticing the pump coming on like every 5 mins. The first two times I thought it was just rain water from the trip home, but then I remembered the plug was not in, so no water should be in the boat. Next thing I know, I was being pulled over by the patrol boat(improper registration). As the patrol boat rafted up and the officer walks over to the side of his boat, the pump kicked on again!!! This soaked the officer in 50 degree water and he was not happy!! He asked to see the paperwork, which I did not have yet, I told him I just bought it and had 7 days to test the boat out and I think it is sinking as we speak!! He said get the damn thing to the dock and get it out of the water now!! Yes sir, have a nice day!!

Got the boat to the dock and popped the engine hatch, water was pouring in around the gimbal housing, the u-bolts you strap the boat to the trailer with, and the swim platform bolts below the water line.

To end this boring story, $900 later and 3 surveys, the boat was trashed. I had three surveys done because I could not believe a boat this nice could be trashed. The transom, stringers, boxes, header panel, all of it was rotted out. The one guy said he does not know how the boat didnt sink with the amount of power the engine was putting out and how weak the transom and stringer were(ripping the engine out of the floor and self destructing the whole back of the boat).

After 2 months of BS and arguing, I got my money back from the broker. The boat sat in my yard for 4 months before the owner decided to come get it, at which time he was "absolutely shocked the boat was in this condition, he never knew"

GET A SURVEY DONE, GET A SURVEY DONE, GET A SURVEY DONE.

Pay now or pay later...I lost about $1600 in that deal, between fuel, tolls, and surveys. One survey will only be a couple hundred bucks, do it!!

The boat looks great, offer him $10k and leave room to go to $11k if it checks out and is the condition he states it is. A good running, good looking, 24' Formula with a trailer for $10-$11K is not bad.

Good luck, sorry to bore you to death, but learn from my mistake.

Brad
+1 $10K....These are great boats...I had an '86 with twin 320 EFI small blocks...boat was a rocket. Don't expect a lot of big performance with that power/drive package and don't even think about putting more power in front of that drive....but...for $10~$11k you can have a lot of fun for a few years. If you take good care of it and don't spit the Alpha 2 out into the lake you can probably sell it for $7500~ $8K 3 years from now.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

FYI-
I sold an '87 242 SS last spring for $10,000 and it sold in 1 hour after I put it on craigslist! It had a 350 Mag, alpha drive and SS interior. All undesirable items in a 242. My buddy has been looking for a boat in the $20,000 range and everything he's called on is sold! The boat market is impoving and a 242 is a lot of boat for the money.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

As everyone has commented get the survey, I didn`t ten years ago and cost me an engine I have an 87 with the 454/alpha I bought in 02 and the alpha has been fine you just need to be gentle. The money you spend on a survey will be well worth it trust me.

Last edited by masi242; 05-16-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with thirdbird. That trailer is not for this type of boat. It will ruin the bottom of the boat. That design is for aluminum fishing boats. I think they are junk. It would need some nice bunks.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this one is also in albany, and its my old boat, think the current owner has kept up on it still looking good, and it had a brand new bravo about 5 years ago

http://albany.craigslist.org/boa/2322734442.html
Old 05-16-2011, 01:18 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

White Bottom paint---no thanks
Alpha on a 242 (Sorry Masi)---no thanks
Roller trailer (while I have one under a boat I just bought not for long)--no thanks.

10-11k MAX if passes survey. I will say if the boat is true to form...great colors and condition
Old 05-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 88242LS
this one is also in albany, and its my old boat, think the current owner has kept up on it still looking good, and it had a brand new bravo about 5 years ago

http://albany.craigslist.org/boa/2322734442.html
This is an easy no brainer decision!!!...go for the '88 with the Bravo for $11K...if it surveys and has been maintained you will be miles ahead in the long run.

A 242 with a big block on a Bravo makes this an easy choice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.