port side motor squeeling

Notices
Formula

port side motor squeeling

Old 06-20-2011, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 374 Posts
Default port side motor squeeling

i have a 2003 292 with 6.2l's...we have a significant squeel on the port side motor. it idles fine free of noise but when you put load on the motor it squeels like crazy. almost like an old car accelerating that needs a belt change. the thing is we just replaced the belts and tightened accordingly. im gonna try belt dressing. after that not sure what else to do. im pretty sure its the belt because it sounds exactly like an old car needing a new belt. any other cause if the dressing doesnt work?
Old 06-20-2011, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The belt could be bad maybe oil got on it or something.Dressing usually will not work on serp belts.I would take belt off and turn everything to make sure its not tight.If its ok try new belt or switch them side to side to see if the noise follows.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
The belt could be bad maybe oil got on it or something.Dressing usually will not work on serp belts.I would take belt off and turn everything to make sure its not tight.If its ok try new belt or switch them side to side to see if the noise follows.
+1 My only other thought it that it's not adjusted right??? I think about a 1/4" play in it is what I remember..... but don't hold me to that.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:57 AM
Registered

ehh they are brand new belts as i mentioned. im going to re-adjust it meanwhile tryi spinning all the pulley's individually. the only pulleys that shouldnt spin are the water pump and motor driven pulleys correct?
Old 06-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 2fast9tech2
ehh they are brand new belts as i mentioned. im going to re-adjust it meanwhile tryi spinning all the pulley's individually. the only pulleys that shouldnt spin are the water pump and motor driven pulleys correct?
Every thing that the belt touches should turn,the sea water pump won't spin freely but should turn.You may have a bearing in the sea water pump going.Do you see any leaking at the shaft seal? If so change the pump because if its leaking the bearings are shot plus the crank trigger is right there and does not like to be sprayed with water.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have seen on cars improper belt routing will cause loud sqeals....check routing
Old 06-20-2011, 03:48 PM
Registered

Every thing that the belt touches should turn,the sea water pump won't spin freely but should turn.You may have a bearing in the sea water pump going.Do you see any leaking at the shaft seal? If so change the pump because if its leaking the bearings are shot plus the crank trigger is right there and does not like to be sprayed with water.
no leaks.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jiffy292
have seen on cars improper belt routing will cause loud sqeals....check routing
improper routing?
Old 06-20-2011, 04:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 2fast9tech2
improper routing?
Good point,possible that when you changed the belt its on wrong.The groved side is running on the idler pulley where the flat side should be.If I remember correctly you had this problem before the belt was changed?
Old 06-20-2011, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is the noise toward the front of the eng? If it is louder at the rear could be a coupler slipping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.