Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
Engine removal for waterline replacement ??? >

Engine removal for waterline replacement ???

Notices
Formula

Engine removal for waterline replacement ???

Old 07-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine removal for waterline replacement ???

I'm having some work done on the cooling system om my 88' 311. It has 420's and TRS drives. The mechanic said that one of the lines has collaspsed and he's not sure how is going to replace it, he said he may need to pull the engine????

Not sure which one but I believe he said it was either from the sea strainer to the sea pump or the sea pump to the circulating pump. Either way I don't see why the motor would need yanked unless he's trying to rack up the bill.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-13-2011, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just had the port side motor out of my 87 311 with a 420 TRS setup. There is no reason I can see the motor would have to come out to do the hoses. It isn't the easiest thing to get to but it should be doable for somebody who works on boats for a living.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed. I don't have TRS, mine is a Bravo. But, I see no reason to pull the engines for a water line replacement. It's a PIA but it can be done, just need patience and flexibility.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He's bull****ting you.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:14 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The hose from the pickup to the strainer is tough to get at, but if you remove one of the exhaust manifolds you'll have room.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just saw the guy and the hose he's talking about it the hose from the sea strainer to the sea pump. Does it look easy? No, does it look hard, no. If anything pull the intake hose off which I'm sure ud have to do to get out of ur way and then pull the strainer out. It's just sitting on two screws. I told the guy if he can't do it I will. I told him order the parts and get it done by wed. Over night them if you have to.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s022mag
I just saw the guy and the hose he's talking about it the hose from the sea strainer to the sea pump. Does it look easy? No, does it look hard, no. If anything pull the intake hose off which I'm sure ud have to do to get out of ur way and then pull the strainer out. It's just sitting on two screws. I told the guy if he can't do it I will. I told him order the parts and get it done by wed. Over night them if you have to.
That's right, just tell him how it's gonna be. Good for you!!