Notices
Formula

thinking of buying a 98 252 ss

Old 07-26-2011, 10:51 PM
JB4
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking of buying a 98 252 ss

hey guys, i need help on this one... a buddy wants to buy a 98 252ss. i dont know much about them, except formula is a well made boat.it is clean,has a 496 mag ho, w/296 hrs and closed cooling(not orig), and a bravo 3 drive. boat looks clean as hell, except the cabin. there is water stains on the carpet, when i asked the owner if the boat takes on water, he flipped up a small access panel, and the floor was full of water! what the hell is that all about? what am i not seeing about this not being normal? owner acted like it was no big deal, but it just dosent seem normal to me. i own a 88 baja 240 sport, and i dont leave a drop of water in mine. any help to enlighten me would be greatly appriciated...
Old 07-26-2011, 10:55 PM
JB4
Registered

also, price is 25,000. any insight???
Old 07-26-2011, 11:25 PM
Registered

Not a Formula guy but the water problem sounded familiar from some other posts. Try this thread to get you started on an answer:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...ps-solved.html
Old 07-31-2011, 09:08 PM
JB4
Registered

thanks, vindicator. you put me in the right direction, and after a ton of research, it seems to be a common problem w/ formula.went to see the boat, the owner got the water out of the forward bilge, but the stringer that runs there was delaminated and soaking wet. boat was sluggish out of the hole, and didnt handle chop very well(maybe too used to the 240 hull).after the test ride, water was back in the forward bilge!plus overall condition was kind of poor.(mostly dirty as hell). thanks again for the point in the right direction, i think i was able to help save my friend a lot of headaches, and alot of $$$
Old 08-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JB4
hey guys, i need help on this one... a buddy wants to buy a 98 252ss. i dont know much about them, except formula is a well made boat.it is clean,has a 496 mag ho, w/296 hrs and closed cooling(not orig), and a bravo 3 drive. boat looks clean as hell, except the cabin. there is water stains on the carpet, when i asked the owner if the boat takes on water, he flipped up a small access panel, and the floor was full of water! what the hell is that all about? what am i not seeing about this not being normal? owner acted like it was no big deal, but it just dosent seem normal to me. i own a 88 baja 240 sport, and i dont leave a drop of water in mine. any help to enlighten me would be greatly appriciated...
for 25k you can buy my 271