Running Flat

Notices
Formula

Running Flat

Old 08-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Running Flat

Hello, I have a 99 353 with 502's. I notice that the boat tends to run with a pronounced tilt to port side when cruising at virtually any on plane speed. I have checked the tabs and drives to see if they are properly indexed to the mechanical indicators, and they are - so I know my planes and drives are normalized. If I am alone in the boat, it rides flat, but one passenger causes the tilt. Do others experience the same? Thanks
Old 08-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont know much but have been reading posts on here all night long

read something about if you have a RH prop will lean certain way and LH vise versa.
if you have this issue they say its normal for rh prop to lean the boat one way? but you have duals? so might not be your issue... just figured id tell ya..you can search about prop lean on here
Old 08-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Registered

I notice this hull tends to lean into the seas however i can assume you are not always running port quarter into the seas! lol What is interesting is I have a buddy with a 2000 353 and his boat lists slightly to the port anchored or docked. There is no added weight that he has to account for, nothing stowed to that side, water tank mt can't figure it out. My 2004 sits perfectly level. I am just curious if your boat at rest lists a little to the port?
One other possible explanation is your props are not exactly the same, has either had work done?
Old 08-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Registered

Are the batteries on the port side?
Old 08-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Registered

batteries are on both sides of the rear seat.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the input. I don't know if the props have been worked , that is a good thought. RPMs are consistent at same throttle , but could be an issue. Boat sits flat at rest, so it definitely is only an issue underway. Might need to move the cooler to the Stbd side and add more beer. Any other thoughts are welcome. Thanks
Old 08-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Registered

Use the trim tabs. Thats what they're there for! Not to be an ******* but I tend to use my tabs, especially with 1 side "leaning into the wind". These boats should be well balanced, but with the 24 degree deadrise they can fall off balance with little effort from mother nature.
PS...Like you said..Just add more beer!!

Last edited by on the edge; 08-02-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Registered

I've noticed on my 353 if the drives are all the way in at slow speeds, take off, the boat will lean to starboard, doesn't matter who is in the boat. So once the boat is coming on plane, I trim up the drives just a bit. Actually, even when I'm trying to go 25 mph I'll trim out the motors just a bit to hold it on plane better.