Notices
Formula

Help with 383 stroker in formula 21.0ft

Old 08-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something's not right....
Timing sounds like it's off. I'd start with checking the plug wires for correct location and order.
I belive 8 deg BTDC is correct. If you have an adjustable timing light set it for -8 deg and you should see the timing mark while idling at "0". Reset to 8 deg and it'll read +8 deg. Slowly increase throttle by hand and watch the timing advance. If it doesn't advance then the chip is bad.
Someplace on this site there's a post with all the advance curves for the different ignition controls.

You say you're running a 17" pitch prop?
Isn't that a bit small?
My F-206 with 270 HP 350 MAG came with a 21" Mirage prop and it pulled to 58 MPH on GPS. I dropped down to a 19" Laser II to get out of the hole quicker. I'd expect a 365 HP 383 to run around 65 maybe 70 MPH and at least a 21" prop.
If you do get it running around 70 be careful. I now guy who dropped in a 454 BBC in a F-206 and it was very hard to handle at that speed and higher. Chine walked badly.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Iggy
Something's not right....
Timing sounds like it's off. I'd start with checking the plug wires for correct location and order.
I belive 8 deg BTDC is correct. If you have an adjustable timing light set it for -8 deg and you should see the timing mark while idling at "0". Reset to 8 deg and it'll read +8 deg. Slowly increase throttle by hand and watch the timing advance. If it doesn't advance then the chip is bad.
Someplace on this site there's a post with all the advance curves for the different ignition controls.

You say you're running a 17" pitch prop?
Isn't that a bit small?
My F-206 with 270 HP 350 MAG came with a 21" Mirage prop and it pulled to 58 MPH on GPS. I dropped down to a 19" Laser II to get out of the hole quicker. I'd expect a 365 HP 383 to run around 65 maybe 70 MPH and at least a 21" prop.
If you do get it running around 70 be careful. I now guy who dropped in a 454 BBC in a F-206 and it was very hard to handle at that speed and higher. Chine walked badly.
+1 on the chip being bad...as you can see I've been pushing the total advance issue on this thread ...I just wonder what is going on with it now? An F3 with that power should be a "Bullet"