Questions about efficiency

Old 08-09-2011, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use my boat 3-5 times a week minumum
Old 08-09-2011, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 314joey
I know you're concerned about the fuel, but what about other factors, better ride, more space, easier to manuver, with twins there's also a additional engine safety factor, I wouldn't look at just the fuel costs, look at everything then make a decision before you go shopping.
I understand all of these other factors, but most of these don't apply to my usage. Like I said, I never overnight so a large cabin is just a waste, also I am single with no kids so as long as the cockpit will hold 4 or 5 comfortably I'm fine. The extra engine safety factor doesn't apply either as I boat on inland lakes with friends and family if problems should arise.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have the larger boat, but not if its gonna cost me 2X as much every weekend with no appearant gains other than a lighter wallet to carry around
Old 08-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your looking for fuel efficency, might I suggest a sailboat. No matter how you spin it, getting 2 miles to the gallon just isn't fuel efficient. I'd be thrilled if I could get 4 but it's still not fuel efficient.

If your buying a power boat, your not all that worried about efficency or gas prices. Gas prices haven't stopped me from boating, I just cut out the long trips. Why go 10 miles away the dock to drop anchor and sit all day, when you can go 2 miles to a similar spot and do the same thing. That type of thing.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:03 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 88242LS
I use my boat 3-5 times a week minumum
and what is your mpg?
Old 08-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some food for thought. Just from my observations over the years. I was in the same spot 4 years ago trying to decide with Formula model to go with. Theres a two step process when trying to determine which length of boat to go with.

Step 1 - Pick the one model that fits you the best. Fills all your needs.

So in your case your a single guy, no kids. You don't over night so cabin space isn't important. Needs to fit 4-5 people. Your right on that the 271 probably fits you the best. So now proceed to Step 2.

Step 2 - Now go one model size bigger then the boat selected in step 1. This is the boat you should end up with.

If not within a year your going to say I need or should have gotten a bigger boat.

Hence my tag name Splitdecision271. I ended up with a 292 fastech. I went back and forth. 271 fit me perfectly, but the 292 ended up being the right decision. Now almost 5 years later, I'm starting to think about going bigger.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Splitdecision271
If your looking for fuel efficency, might I suggest a sailboat. No matter how you spin it, getting 2 miles to the gallon just isn't fuel efficient. I'd be thrilled if I could get 4 but it's still not fuel efficient.

If your buying a power boat, your not all that worried about efficency or gas prices. Gas prices haven't stopped me from boating, I just cut out the long trips. Why go 10 miles away the dock to drop anchor and sit all day, when you can go 2 miles to a similar spot and do the same thing. That type of thing.
I understand the costs associated with powerboats, I have been around them my whole life. I just don't want to buy a bigger boat than I really need just to tell all my friends that I have one, but not be able to afford to run it how I'd like. The joy of owning a powerboat is DRIVING a powerboat.

My friend I mentioned in a previous post with the 42 Fountain did just that, bought a boat he can neither afford to run as he would like, or sell due to the fact he is upside down. Sure, it looks cool and sounds cool, but I would rather have a Bayliner and be able to go anywhere anytime. Whatever I buy, I will be buying with cash as I don't want to be like my friend.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by t500hps
and what is your mpg?
+1
Old 08-09-2011, 05:27 PM

Thats some good advice Splitdecision271, thanks. That's actually kind of what I was doing. I looked at a 271 here locally and absolutely loved the boat, then began shopping online and noticed that if went just a few years older I could get a 311 for the same price, but if it is going to cost that much more to operate, I should stick with a 271. I plan to put many hours on the boat and just don't want to have to worry about what it will cost every time I want to go for a long cruise.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Registered

You're in Louisville, on a lake or a river. You don't need a 311. Get the 271 if you want a stabbin' cabin, get the BR (252 or 232) if you want plenty of room and just need a boat to get the party around.

I had a 311 but it just didn't suit my needs. Two kids, dog(never allowed NEAR the Formula), always in & out of the water, a 30ft+/- center console with v-berth is what we need.

Stick with the Formula brand and you'll always be impressed with the things you're boat will have that others won't.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

From reading all your posts, it's like you're talking yourself out of the bigger boat, so you've made the decision already, you're just looking for confirmation that it's the right choice.

If you're worrying about a few hundred dollars extra in fuel each year you might not want to buy a boat yet, there's just nothing cheap about them, think about it.

Go get a 271 and enjoy yourself for a year or two, but please come back here and tell us that you wish you would have bought the bigger boat, sorry, just trying to be honest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.