My 272 rebuild/restoration

Notices
Formula

My 272 rebuild/restoration

Old 09-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aquaforce
I have read a lot of posts about the hook and the most recent post I read from a new owner of an old Formula was very interesting. To shed some more light on the hook topic this new owner posted pics of the boat at top speed. The area of the hooks were not in the water. The water spray from under the boat had a very slight appearance of getting near the hooks but by the pics the spray seemed insignificant to effect any performance. I don't recall where the post was since I surf several boat sites but I have these hooks in my boats and I pay special attention to this topic.

If the hooks are removed as some have done a noticeable change has been reported in slow speed handling. I'm not ready to give up the low end for top speed but it may be that the hooks don't affect top speed after 70 mph at all.

When I get my new stroker in my SS I will do some pics at speed to see how mine is riding and the relation of the hooks and the water.
I think the theory has always been that once the boat reaches it's true planing speed...the outboard chines are lifted out of the water by the outer most strake. If this in fact true then it would add credence to what you see in pics of these hulls at speed. It seems that the hooks shouldn't be as much of a detriment at high speed.

I recall that the '86 272 that I had with twin 320 EFI's got to be a real "chine walker" from about 65 up. We didn't have GPS in the '80's but it would do a speedo indicated 75 with 25" SST Cleavers.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

well the glass guy found a "few" more spots, a crack under the battery's on each side, and the glass all cracked around the bilge pump. he's grinding it all out and laying mat etc. transom holes are all filled, took the stainless tabs off and filled those holes gonna put k planes on it before next season