New to me 272

Notices
Formula

New to me 272

Old 10-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Murphy
Car Biz.....make my own....hmmmm....I have access to machining and fabrication at work. I just looked at the Latham web site and could easily make one. I will fabriacte the clevis's, use sst 5/8 pipe and just need to purchase a pair of sst rod ends.....wheels are turning....thanks, Brad.
You got it!!!!!!!!!!! IT is pretty easy to do and it was one of the best things i did. the back of the boat @ speed seemed more stable the think drives have a tendancey to "walk back and forth" the bar eliminated that!!!
Old 10-17-2011, 03:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my tie bar fabricated and installed it over the weekend. I have way less than $100 in this thing and it turned out great. I tig welded two nuts on the ends of the pipe then tig welded threaded rod for the rod ends to thread onto. The most expensive thing was the rod ends. I think Im going to change the port side over to counter rotation also Brad
Old 10-17-2011, 06:25 AM
Registered

Received 1,819 Likes on 711 Posts
Default Dude......

Thanks sprink, Im pretty excited about it...biggest rig I've owned yet. My background is I am an ex drag boat racer now slowing down a bit to just enjoy the lake....lol. Anything I need to look out for or should know on the 272? Also what size fuel tank does it have as well as water tank for the sink? Overall the boat is in really good shape just needs a little clean up TLC. Im going to buff and wax it this weekend. The carpet in the cuddy is a little worn and dirty (not water stained) so I was thinking on tearing it out and replacing with some of that new synthetic teak decking material, easier to keep clean.....thanks in advance for all help and advice...Brad.
Gary Williams here. Glad to see you here and making the change.
As you know, I've done the little boats and the big boats and the big are much more fun.
The older Formula's are on my A list.
Great to hear from you Brother!!
Old 10-18-2011, 02:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
Gary Williams here. Glad to see you here and making the change.
As you know, I've done the little boats and the big boats and the big are much more fun.
The older Formula's are on my A list.
Great to hear from you Brother!!
Hey Gary, great to hear from you!! I am having alot of fun with the bigger stuff. As you know I was pretty serious about the drag boat racing and did pretty good. Got my old Mirage Jaguar competitive in 10 second class (M/E) running in the 0's at 112-115 mph in the quarter. But it was time for a change. Ironicly I ended up crashing...well stuffing my lake boat (a Baker ModVP tunnel) at 85mph...lol. So Im enjoying this bigger ride. Hope all is well with you in the land of sunshine Keep in touch brother.....Brad.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:34 AM
Registered

Received 1,819 Likes on 711 Posts
Default Brad....

Hey Gary, great to hear from you!! I am having alot of fun with the bigger stuff. As you know I was pretty serious about the drag boat racing and did pretty good. Got my old Mirage Jaguar competitive in 10 second class (M/E) running in the 0's at 112-115 mph in the quarter. But it was time for a change. Ironicly I ended up crashing...well stuffing my lake boat (a Baker ModVP tunnel) at 85mph...lol. So Im enjoying this bigger ride. Hope all is well with you in the land of sunshine Keep in touch brother.....Brad.
I was very aware of your success drag racing and was always a huge fan especially in how fast you picked it up and got competitive.
Two time class champion??
I've still got FrankenRude II hanging on a stand and had an Allison XR 2002 that I intended to race. But after spending 2 yrs restoring my 2nd 24' twin O/B Sonic I was quickly reminded I don't have the money or brain matter to do both.
Reality is it takes almost the same effort and similar funds (if paying for hotels w/the small boat) to play w/the little boats as the big boats.
And as I tell my friends, our idea of boating is climbing on it Friday and not getting off until Sunday.
Sold the A Bote and dumped that money into the completion of the Sonic.
Based on where you're living I'm guessing your playing on the Ohio River?? If so, awesome place to boat and I miss it.

Give me a ring some time so we can catch up.
Glad to see you're doing well.
772-418-0902
Old 10-19-2011, 02:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
I was very aware of your success drag racing and was always a huge fan especially in how fast you picked it up and got competitive.
Two time class champion??
I've still got FrankenRude II hanging on a stand and had an Allison XR 2002 that I intended to race. But after spending 2 yrs restoring my 2nd 24' twin O/B Sonic I was quickly reminded I don't have the money or brain matter to do both.
Reality is it takes almost the same effort and similar funds (if paying for hotels w/the small boat) to play w/the little boats as the big boats.
And as I tell my friends, our idea of boating is climbing on it Friday and not getting off until Sunday.
Sold the A Bote and dumped that money into the completion of the Sonic.
Based on where you're living I'm guessing your playing on the Ohio River?? If so, awesome place to boat and I miss it.

Give me a ring some time so we can catch up.
Glad to see you're doing well.
772-418-0902
Sounds like me and my wife....we are on the water all summer. We mainly boat on Barren River Lake. Its a 10,000+ acres lake with really clean water, very deep and tons of coves. Plus its less than 30 mins from my driveway to the ramp. I will give you a call in the next day or two....Brad
615-878-0574
Old 10-22-2011, 07:09 PM
Registered

Very nice boat. The lines on these are timeless. I also have an 84 272LS project boat that im restoring now. I spent today removing 2 coats of bottom paint. Can you post some interior pics and possibly engine pics. The owner of my boat died suddenly and the family knew nothing about boats both engines froze cracked blocks, manifolds one outdrive was stolen. I am now the owner of whats left. My boat has mirage plus 21s counterrotating drives. I cant say how they work obviously. I called Formula and questioned them about the boat they were very nice and answered all questions according to them the 21s were stock props and would run low to mid 60s with small blocks and 70 with 330s. brochures are availible on formulas website. Good luck with your new toy.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Scorpion Paul
Very nice boat. The lines on these are timeless. I also have an 84 272LS project boat that im restoring now. I spent today removing 2 coats of bottom paint. Can you post some interior pics and possibly engine pics. The owner of my boat died suddenly and the family knew nothing about boats both engines froze cracked blocks, manifolds one outdrive was stolen. I am now the owner of whats left. My boat has mirage plus 21s counterrotating drives. I cant say how they work obviously. I called Formula and questioned them about the boat they were very nice and answered all questions according to them the 21s were stock props and would run low to mid 60s with small blocks and 70 with 330s. brochures are availible on formulas website. Good luck with your new toy.
Hey Paul, I dont have any engine pics but can take some for you. Send me your email and I will get some together for you.