2001 271 Transom Material

Notices
Formula

2001 271 Transom Material

Old 10-21-2011, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 271 Transom Material

Does anyone know what material the transom of a 2001 271 is made of? My boat is leaking at the bottom of the transom plate, and I was wondering how bad it's going to be to have it repaired. I have a quote of $750 - $3000 depending on wheather or not there is transom damage. So I figure if it's wood, it could be worse than if it isn't. The boat is trailer kept, and only in the water a day or two, a couple times a season at most, so it can't be too bad, I hope.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:09 AM
Registered

Does the boat have silent choice? I had an issue with water leaking I found where it was coming from. It was the gasket between transom and exhaust down pipe
Hope that helps
Old 10-22-2011, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

also make sure its not the pin in the top of outdrive
Old 10-22-2011, 09:06 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Bellows Leak

Had a shift cable bellows leaking this summer. Leaked/trickled in at the bottom of transom plate. Have you checked all the bellows?
Old 10-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Registered

The core of the transom is wood.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Registered

The transom is wood. Everthing else is composite. How much water do you have coming in and exactly from where? My 2000 271 gets about a 1/2 gallon of water in it every time I take it out from somewhere. Jeff Wurl
Old 10-22-2011, 10:43 PM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 373 Posts

I had a leaking boat this summer...took us 8 hours to diagnose. Here are some things to check:

1. Shift cable bellows (check for cracking or dried glue)
2. Main shaft bellows (see 1)
3. Pin on the top of the drive (tough to diagnose)
4. Y pipe exhaust (another tough one to diagnose)
5. Transom assmebly gasket (rule this one out using silicon around the transom assembly)

Here are some more tips. If you can get a hold of a Borescope this will make it easy to trace. Another thing we did is backed the boat in the water until we saw leaking. Helped identify at which level the leak is occurring.

The good and bad news...good news is that it's probably one of the ones I named above. The bad news is they all stink to replace or fix. In my case I have a leaking transom assembly for which we need to pull the engine and take the drive completely off. We siliconed the entire edge of the transom for now until we can permanently fix the gasket.

In terms of the transom getting wet. I wouldn't worry. There is no direct path to the core on formulas. If you look at each of the cutout openings in the transom they are covered and not left bare. This doesn't mean don't fix the boat. It means you have time. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions
Old 10-23-2011, 08:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jwurl
The transom is wood. Everthing else is composite. How much water do you have coming in and exactly from where? My 2000 271 gets about a 1/2 gallon of water in it every time I take it out from somewhere. Jeff Wurl
That's about how much mine leaks also. And I can see it leaking at the bottom of the transom plate too.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jwurl
Originally Posted by 2fast9tech2
I had a leaking boat this summer...took us 8 hours to diagnose. Here are some things to check:

1. Shift cable bellows (check for cracking or dried glue)
2. Main shaft bellows (see 1)
3. Pin on the top of the drive (tough to diagnose)
4. Y pipe exhaust (another tough one to diagnose)
5. Transom assmebly gasket (rule this one out using silicon around the transom assembly)

Here are some more tips. If you can get a hold of a Borescope this will make it easy to trace. Another thing we did is backed the boat in the water until we saw leaking. Helped identify at which level the leak is occurring.

The good and bad news...good news is that it's probably one of the ones I named above. The bad news is they all stink to replace or fix. In my case I have a leaking transom assembly for which we need to pull the engine and take the drive completely off. We siliconed the entire edge of the transom for now until we can permanently fix the gasket.

In terms of the transom getting wet. I wouldn't worry. There is no direct path to the core on formulas. If you look at each of the cutout openings in the transom they are covered and not left bare. This doesn't mean don't fix the boat. It means you have time. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions
Thanks. All good information to have.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sound slike possibly the pin, look and see if theres any water on top of the steering arm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.