My new project - 86 - 272 LS >

My new project - 86 - 272 LS

Notices
Formula

My new project - 86 - 272 LS

Old 10-25-2012, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Don't make fun of crappy of dash. Still full of dust. Panels are being remade done in red with the autometers. I just had to test fit new stuff o have a good template.

Gauges are yours if want em. No charge.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Maine
befu,

been following this thread because the 272 is the direction I want to go in.

Anyway its too bad you've had so much bad luck after all the work you've done but you'll get passed it.

My one question, why the heck would you run one fuel pump on a twin? Go to 2 fuel pumps please!!! Or at least carry a spare, its a silly reason to be dead in the water in a twin engine boat.

Good luck and I'll continue to follow, I want to see a top speed number!!!
Well, we will have to wait about 6 months for a top speed. I believe i only broke 40 on this run. All of these runs we're done with the 4 blade 21p aluminum props on it. Now that they were both spinning the same speed, I was able to try bringing the drives up almost level with the bottom. Actually felt the nose start to lift a bit and rpms go up some. Before I had to drive with the props trimmed in or it would start to rev and lose speed. I believe that was due to the different gear case ratios. Still not level with the bottom, but not fully buried either.

I went with one fuel pump to simplify it. Cars have one and run for thousands of hours without a problem, with a lowest cost eom also. Thought a Holley would be better and with its spec flow, should have been plenty. Obviously not and after being stranded twice by it, I will have new ones and in duplicate next spring. Now that I have at least ran it a couple of times, I am more willing to start spending money n it again.

Oh, and by next summer it will fit our family again. By then our four foster children will be moved on, hopefully back to family so we will be down to just our five children! nothing like trying to finish a boat during summer that all the kids would not fit on.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Don't make fun of crappy of dash. Still full of dust. Panels are being remade done in red with the autometers. I just had to test fit new stuff o have a good template.

Gauges are yours if want em. No charge.
Thanks, let me look at my second temp gauge, it is the only thing not working right now. If I can get it to work, I think I will keep them. Keep us posted on your dash. I want to make a new dash cabinet for mine this winter. You just redoing the panel inserts or are you changing around the whole housing?

Don't worry about the dust, mine was pretty dang dirty this summer even after a few preliminary cleanings!

Last edited by befu; 10-25-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sprink58
Brian...I'm going to say I think the lake water was cold and it just took a while to warm those engines up enough to burn off the condensation moisture.

You are making me feel bad with those old Q-Jets. If I can find a good pair of Holley 750 DP's I'll send you my good Q-Jets. Don't worry about the $$...just send me what they are worth to you if they work out.
Let me know if you find the hollers, I will have to do something this winter.

It is odd how that motor dried itself out after we fixed the intake manifold. I am curious if the intake let loose again or if it was something else. We will get it pulled, do a compression check on it and then open it up. At the minimum it is going to need a gasket set and I will put in new bearings.

Thanks.

Last edited by befu; 10-25-2012 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Ipad knows what I really meant to type and keeps changing it.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by masi242
Congrats you are no longer a trailer Queen Those shift interrupters are a pain I ended up replacing them with a new style a few years ago no more stalling around the dock.

mark
Hey mark, you have more info on this? I believe I have one old style and one new style. Need to look into it over winter, stalling at the dock is killing me! Especially today in 20 mph winds. Read a few reasons for it somewhere online, one of them was dur to worn or stretched shift cables. All on the to do list this winter.

I think this years list is actually bigger now....
Old 10-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by befu
Thanks, let me look at my second temp gauge, it is the only thing not working right now. If I can get it to work, I think I will keep them. Keep us posted on your dash. I want to make a new dash cabinet for mine this winter. You just redoing the panel inserts or are you changing around the whole housing?
All the panels are being redone. The one in the picture will be remade to accurately fit plotter and flo scan. On the side where controls an trim switches are gonna be remade. Then all panels. Both on passenger side, main gauge panel, 2 on either side of steering wheel and 2 new ones for controls an trim switches are being sent off to a fellow from another forum who basically paints and clears them. Pics I've seen of his work is awesome. So I need to send him some to check it.

Then the autometers which are platinum face chrome bezels. All toggle switches will be white with white military rockers for trim. On passenger side panel above glove box it has 272 sr1 on it now. That will be put back like it is by airbrush and in center of that panel will be I.C.U. Lookin' airbrushed in same font as 272 sr1. (Wife is an icu nurse).
Old 10-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

befu,

call me crazy, but when I built my motor I just went with a summit electric fuel pump, if i remember it was like 80 bucks or so. I have NEVER had any trouble with it, 125+hrs (knocking on wood right now). At the time I just thought it would hold me over, but why change. I free flow tested it at about 80 gallons per hour. I don't know who actually makes it but it must not be holly because it actually works!! I hit 67.5 in my 206 a couple weekends ago, cold weather and low fuel. I had about 1.5 mph of current so it was an honest 66. Have a good winter

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g3136-1/overview/
Old 10-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Nice work. I had a similar project a few years ago with a 242. It took me about 3 months of solid work but it sure was rewarding when i was finished. Once again- Nice Job!
Old 10-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mr Maine
befu,

call me crazy, but when I built my motor I just went with a summit electric fuel pump, if i remember it was like 80 bucks or so. I have NEVER had any trouble with it, 125+hrs (knocking on wood right now). At the time I just thought it would hold me over, but why change. I free flow tested it at about 80 gallons per hour. I don't know who actually makes it but it must not be holly because it actually works!! I hit 67.5 in my 206 a couple weekends ago, cold weather and low fuel. I had about 1.5 mph of current so it was an honest 66. Have a good winter

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g3136-1/overview/
That pretty much looks like the exact same thing as the Holley pump, looks identical. maybe it is made by someone else, don't know. maybe I just got a crappy one. I will see about exchanging it before I buy another one. Could always set it up and do a test also to make sure the new one will run continually.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:22 PM
Registered

Default Engine update

Went out and looked at the motors. Once things had a chance to cool and settle down, doesn't look as bad as I originally thought.

the Port motor was coughing pretty bad. Not back firing, but more of a "popping". Wasn't good as the oil in the bilge looks like it came from this motor. Feeling along the bottom of the timing chain cover, there is oil there. so, if a motor is popping like that, can it over pressurize the crankcase and push oil out the front seals? Wondering if it was the gas I put in it on the way to the lake. That popping was new on this run. I am guessing it was only the port motor that was popping like that from the sound of it. Maybe the other motor was doing it also, just not as loud? Anyways, the oil looks fine in that motor, just a 1/2 quart low.

the Starboard motor is pretty much a complete repeat of the first time it took on water. Oil level is about 1/4 to 1/2 quart high and has the brown water look to it. didn't cook it real bad as the water seperated out floating on top. Oil looked clean when we checked it the next morning. Then we did a compression check on the motor and it read at 150 psi on all the cylinders. Checking the oil again, it was stirred up and you could see the brown. so water in it, but must not of been in long. so we will pull it out and pull bearings for inspection/replacement.

On the SB motor we will do a pressure check on the motor cooling system. If the intake manifold is leaking again, we will pull it and inspect further. Maybe I got a bad intake manifold that is not sealing properly?

I thought I remembered seeing the SB motor with more foam on top of it, but we were drifting at that point, so not sure. I thought there was a lot of oil in the bilge also, but there was only some water with oil floating on top, just looked really dirty.

either way, got work to do now. Here is a picture of the SB motor with some of the settled foam that dripped off the cold flame arrestor onto the manifold and the oil in the bilge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.